Direct TV picture on 36"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremiah, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Hello everybody, I just got Direct TV for this up comming football season and I am going to get a new TV 32"-36"(prefer flatscreen) and was wondering if the picture is good?
    I have been reading that the 36" Wegas look bad with Direct TV not sure about Panasonic or any other brand though. My dad has a 35" Proscan tube I believe and his DTV picture looks just fine. Should I go with a tube mor ethan a flat screen? I watch movies maybe twice a week.
    I will drop down to a 32" if all 36" TV's do not look good but I would like a 36. Sorry for the rambling and thank you.

2. Brian Shoop

Brian Shoop Auditioning

I have Directv and a 36" Sony Wega. If the picture on the tv is proberly calibrated, the Directv picture looks good and clear. There are times that I can see some digital artifacts or the picture looks kind of grainy but I was able to see that on my old 27" tv when I used that. The larger the screen size, the more defects in the picture stand out but the 36" is ok...Also make sure to use a good quality S-video cable to hook up the Directv receiver to your tv. You'll get alot better picture with s-video then with 75 ohm coax cable.

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Thanks Brian for your input.

4. DaveSt

DaveSt Auditioning

Are you talking about a DirecTV pay-per-view sport channel? Or a regular run-of-the-mill channel? If the latter, set your expectations VERY VERY LOW and you might be satisfied. Pay-per-view broadcasts get more bandwidth on DirecTV and look much better. I find the regular channels to be painful to watch on anything 32" or above.
    Here's something to try: Call DirecTV customer service, and ask them what the resolution is of their standard channels. Heh heh. They will not tell you. Why do you suppose that is?
    -dave

5. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Thanks for the website Steve, that could of been me asking that question(he was in the exact same boat!). Thanks again.