Direct TV or Dish network?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMW, Dec 2, 2001.

1. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I have Cox sucker digital cable right now, and it sux goat nads. Radio Shack is offering the Direct TV package w/ RCA dish and receiver for 50.00 and free installation. I read on the Direct TV website that you need 2 dishes for HDTV signals in addition to a decoder if it isn't built into the TV.

I have seen other dishes and receivers available. Is the RCA one any good?

Is Dish Network any better?

2. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    John,

I have owned both Dishnetwork and DirecTV. I first owned dishnetwork. Dishnetwork was fine, however they didn't offer the NFL Sunday ticket which led me to purchase a DirecTV system. In comparison I would say that programming prices as well as picture quality are comparable in both systems. Both systems offer basically the same things with the exception of the NFL ticket, NBA and NHL hockey. These are offered exclusively by DirecTV not Dishnetwork. So, if sports is a priority for you I would recommend DirectTV. If sports is not a priority then Dishnetwork is also a good choice.

Good Luck,

Greggor

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    John, there is a DBS and Satellite dish forum here on the HTF, you might want to check that section out. Right now, DirectTV has more of the NFL/NBA, sports kind of programming than DishNetwork but if you don't know already, DishNetwork is buying DirecTV which means that somewhere down the road, you might find NFL's Sunday Ticket on DishNetwork when it all goes down. But that probably wont happen for a while. The NationalGeographic Channel is another one that DirecTV has which DishNetwork doesn't but there's always talk of that channel so wait and see. There's a couple others I think that are exclusive to one or the other but not many.
    Jay

4. chaz fifer

chaz fifer Agent

Directv and dishnetwork will be merging in 2002.They just announced this.check out www.directv.com.this should help.

5. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

DirecTV and Dish Network MAY be merging, subject to regulatory approval. If they do merge, it will be 2-3 years before any hardware will be changed over.
    Bruce

6. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Go to either Best Buy or Circuit city and pick up one of the DirecTivo models for $100.00 and get the free installation. You'll enjoy satellite more with the Tivo.

Jeff