What's new

Direct TV or Dish Network (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dish uses 1 receiver with dual tuners to connect to two TVs. DirecTV does not have a dual tuner receiver with dual independent outputs. But there is no "minimum" with D* though. I have D* receivers shared between TV's without any issues. Both TV's show the same show but for my household, that is not an issue.

-Robert

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
the reason i'm asking is dish has an hd dvr receiver for 2 tvs for free while direct tv want $200 for an hd dvr and an sd dvr. just trying to understand if there is some reason i shouldn't go with the cheaper choice. monthly programming is about the same.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Dish receiver has only one OTA tuner. That is a deal breaker for me. Not only do I record a lot of network programming, I sometimes use the OTA tuners on both of my HD DVRs. That's 4 OTA programs at one time.

HD is just now entering the mainstream so it is still expensive to start. When I made the jump 5 years ago, I paid $3,200 for a 55" TV and $500 for a DirecTV HD receiver (not a DVR). My HD DirecTivo was $800 when I purchased it. I see the $199 DVR prices and think how lucky you guys are. But I wouldn't trade places though since I have been enjoying HD programming for years.

-Robert

JuanDeaux

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I currently subscribe to DISH and I am happy with the service. I started out with DirecTV in 1995, switched to DISH to get a Starband discount, back to DirecTV due to an attractive DVR upgrade package and finally DISH again to get local channels.

I made the move to HD last year, and being a DISH customer, I assumed that I could get a lucrative deal from DirecTV. Not so. I can't remember the exact dollars and cents, but moving to DirecTV would have cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $200. This might not be valid now, but it was at the time. I upgraded with DISH and have had zero problems.

Based on my experience with both of these providers, I can't say that I favor one over the other. Granted DirecTV is much larger, has deeper pockets and may offer more HD channels. Regardless, I hardly feel deprived that I only have two receivers, one SD DVR and one HD DVR/SD dual-tuner, and am unable to capture five or six programs simultaneously. I usually make more recordings than I can keep up with.

If cost is a factor, my opinion is to compare the offerings on both and then go with the cheapest option that meets your content needs.

I also believe that the quality of the installation should not be overlooked. A slipshod installation can make the satellite provider look bad, while chronic problems are actually due to an incompetent or lackadaisical installer. A conscientious installer, who does thing right and spends a little time with instructions, goes a long way toward creating satisfied customers. If possible, get independent opinions on local installers and request a specific individual or firm. I have done that in reverse. Based on a previous bad experience, DISH agreed when I insisted that a specific individual would not be used for my installation.

BillRob

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Roberts
This thread triggered a dumb question. I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR2. It has 2 inputs, one for OTA (local channels, all digital, some HD, great picture). It also has a direct cable input so I do not require a STB, and I get all the analog channels (Comedy Central, etc.). I have a PC with Snapstream for TV guide, recording to my hard drive, etc. I would like to drop cable and switch to satellite.
Must I use a Satellite receiver, or is there any way (including a new board in my PC), that would allow me to not use a satellite receiver? The main reason (other than complexity and yet another remote) is that I would like to get the satellite guide integrated with the OTA guide in snapstream for recording, etc. like it is now with cable I don't think I can do that if I must have the satellite guide provided through the receiver. TIA Bill Roberts

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Both Dish and DirecTV has rumored, announced and even shown PC cards with satellite tuners. None have ever made it to production.

The additional remote is an easy fix. Put them all away and replace them with a Harmony remote. I like the 880 myself.

Why do you use your PC? Archiving shows or do you use it like a regular DVR? You could get a satellite based DVR which has a great integrated OTA/satellite guide and still use your PC for archival purposes. I recently saw a Haupauge adapter that will conver component HD video to USB for recording purposes.

-Robert

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

Thanks again Robert. I just read through the thread again,this makes perfect sense now. HD channels are now almost impossible to watch without breakup on my system. Comcast will be installed this Saturday.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm looking at these options now. Any updates from satisfied/dissatisfied customers?

Darren: Your experience?

DishTV seems to have a price edge right now for minimal HD service.

It looks like I can get the following:

$24.95 for their minimum tier of 40 HD channels
$5.00 for my local channels in HD
$5.00 for a DVR with two separate tuners (one HD & one SD. This would work out okay to feed my HDTV and my SD-DVD Recorder.)

This would mean all the cable lines running to my PC and various other DVD recorders and VCRs would go away...but that's what happens when you pare back services, right?!?

I'm looking to reduce monthly bills. This is easily half of what my monthly Time-Warner cable bill is and seems like it would keep me from going completely barebones with just my local OTA and the upcoming DTV transition. MY HDTV has an analog tuner so going OTA would require a more extensive (read: expensive) DTV converter box.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Best I can figure from DirectTV (whose website seems much more convoluted and mysterious than Dish Network. I'm used to complicated information from my local Time-Warner) is:

$34.99 gets me a tier which offers a "Free" HD-DVR
$5.99 gets me DVR functionality(!) :rolleyes
$9.99 gets me HD access (after the first three months are free.

That comes to $50.97/month and I'm still not sure that's all the "hidden" costs involved.

They might be offering more channels...better service...but cost is a huge concern for me right now.

And that's why I'm asking for updates from people on their experiences with either provider.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since I'm opting for DishTV...is there anyone who has had DishTV who can give me some opinions based on their experience? Please?!?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

If that's accurate, it means that DirecTV has an advantage because both tuners in its HD DVR are HD. So you can record two HD programs at once and you can watch one HD program while recording another.

dreemin

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt

Mike, I've been a DISH subscriber since, (I think), sometime in 1996 or early 1997, and I've been quite happy with their service.

After I purchased an HDTV a few months back, I called DISH to upgrade from a SD DVR to a HD DVR (model 722) because once I got the new TV I just had to have the HD programming. They brought it out and set it up the next day. I've been satisfied with the service.

I'm currently paying $59.99. I have the DISH DVR Advantage package, then added the SilverHD package for $10/month.

The DVR Advantage plan eliminates the DVR fees, includes locals and gives you 2-room DVR options.

We don't have any premium channels, as we either check out DVDs from our local library, buy them or stream them.

I think DISH has a current promotion for DVR Advantage ... Free HBO and Starz for 3 months, Cinemax for a penny a month for 12 months, and PlatinumHD for 3 months.

Anything more specific you're interested in?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matt:

Thanks for the answers! Thanks a lot! I've had a hard time finding other Dish Network users to get their stories.

You have made me feel a lot better as I just took the plunge and have the installation guys coming out Wednesday!

I've always had cable. So I am really used to hearing the cable provider commercials about how bad satellite service is! ;)

While I've had cable with an HD tier the past few years, I have found myself watching less and less SD-TV. Very little, in fact. So, I thought it was VERY cool that Dish Network is offering to new subscribers these different tiers of HD-only service. Since I'm looking to keep monthly costs down I went for the Bronze (smallest) package of about 35 HD channels PLUS my local channels (in hD) AND an HD DVR (the VIP 622) for just $34.99/month. Of course, I am bound to a two-year commitment to avoid any equipment costs and have heard a ton of horror stories about what happens when equipment stops working correctly. Any experience in that area?

I will be sad to miss most of the baseball games I'm used to seeing on the YES network (NY Yankees)...but I can listen on radio and will still have access to ESPN, ESPN2, my local Fox affilate, and TBS. I'm a Red Sox fan anyway...but a baseball fan first & foremost.

I know the 722 would be a definite upgrade but that would be more costly per month, I guess. And, the 622 already has more storage than my Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD that I'll be giving up.

So, while I'm feeling good for a number of reasons (especially cutting the monthly cable bill in half!), I am just a little nervous about making a long term commitment with a technology I know very little about.

And, BTW, welcome to the HTF! Don't be a stranger! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come...

But my appointment for an installation tomorrow has now been canceled due to a "lack of receivers." It has been pushed back to next week. :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay, Dave. It looks like the two of us are going to enter this strange experiment together. Although you actually had Dish some years ago, huh?

I find almost ANY company to be difficult when it comes to information-gathering over the p[hone. I've had the same issues with Time-Warner, AT&T, Verizon, etc. I don't think Dish is unique in that way.

The only upside I have going into this arrangement is that I have found a few different households that have had Dish and tell me they have had no problems and like the service. That's what I'm holding onto as I make this transition.

Thanks for sharing that link to your other thread. I have subscribed to it in the event of any updates! Good luck! :emoji_thumbsup: And, Happy New Year!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sorry for the late entry to this thread. I've had Dish for about 3-4 years now and haven't had any problems with the service.

The only issue I have had with them is a couple of years ago they informed me that I needed to replace my dish and receiver (which they did at no cost to me) so they could add a few more HD channels now and more in the future. At the same time they offered me another year long agreement that would save me $10 a month on my bill. Before the new dish/receiver were installed I was getting about 15 HD channels + the locals. Shortly after signing on for the new agreement I lost 5-6 HD channels which were moved to a higher priced package. You know, prices and packages subject to change without notice. Well, they did. Kinda ticked me off.

BTW, before Dish I had DirectTv for 6-7 years without any service or programming issues. I only changed to Dish because my brother got a job at AT&T which has an agreement with Dish to market their service with other AT&T products. You know, keep peace in the family. Now it looks like AT&T is ending the association with Dish and may move to DirectTv in which case I will probably change over as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks