What's new

Direct TV or Dish Network (1 Viewer)

hydrojohn

Auditioning
Real Name
John A.
I will be getting my first HDTV next week. I have been a direct tv customer for several years with no real problem. However, since I need to upgrade to the HD service I though I would check around. What I have found it for what I want in programing they are comparable cost. However, one difference appears that Direct TV broadcasts more channels in HD. For instance FX is listed in both packages but only shows up as HD for Direct. Seems odd, maybe I missed something. On the other hand Dish advertises their DVR can provide programing to two tvs so that you can watch different programing at the same time. I can not see where the Direct TV HD DVR receiver makes the same claim. Can anyone address that issue. I suspected this would be a good topic as many people want to understand the differences or similarities between the two providers. Their web sites leave alot to be desired in terms of straight forward disclosure. When I called to ask questions about Dish I really got the high pressure sales, which I did not appreciate when I was first trying to fully understand what was included. I amlooking foward to some great input.

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
I've had DirecTV HD for almost 2 years and am quite happy with it. We're just getting the basic $10/mo package as it has History HD, NGC HD and most of the others we are interested in.

We have the earlier model H20 DirecTV HD box.

lizardloren

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Smith
Defiantly Directv. I would suggest getting the HD/DVR combo as well. They are also starting a on-demand service and have over 100 HD channels.

Happy viewing. :)

Home Theater Blogger

Auditioning
Real Name
Mel
Dish Network seems to still be trying to catch up as far as HD ... Dish Network has less fees for DVRs and extra receivers but Direct TV has more channels now and a lot more on the way!

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I've been a DirecTV subscriber since 1999 (SD only). I am probably going to be moving across the country (from CA to FL) this summer and I am starting to research my options.

Cox cable looks too expensive, though I'll have to check out their bundles (I'll have to use them for broadband access). I would like to move up to HD programming, but my wife and I don't watch all that much live TV (we watch mostly DVDs; hope to upgrade to Blu-ray come holiday season).

As far as I can tell, if I want to upgrade to DirecTV HD I have to add it on to my existing package, which will put me in the $60/month range. For the amount of time we spend watching live TV, that is pretty expensive.

It appears that Dish is offering an HD-only package for about $30. I am seriously considering this. Is anyone familiar with this lineup? Considering how bad SD looks on a large screen TV, I don't think I'll miss the SD channels (though I'll have to add the local channels for $5 to get the networks and they're all SD where we'll be moving).

Any thoughts on this Dish all-HD lineup? For $30 it looks like a great deal.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Dish suffered a set back a couple of weeks ago when the satellite they launched specifically for HD failed. DirecTV just launched with much better luck to add to their HD channels.

Have you considered hard wired options of are you pretty much determined to do satellite? Google HiDef Lite/HD Lite and read some results to help you choose.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
According to a guy at circuit city, which I'm not saying I fully trust, cable can only go as high as 720p but satellite can do 1080i. Is he right?

I have directv and am happy with it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The guy from CC is wrong (I am not surprised). Both satellite and cable can do 720p and 1080i. They could do 1080p if they wanted but that would require new receivers and use up more of their limited bandwidth.

-Robert

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
When you say hard wired, can I assume you mean cable? If so, I'm considering it, but the local cable where I'm moving is expensive. It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I'm tired of paying too much money for too little in return (considering how little live TV we watch). Even if the quality of DISH HD isn't that great, it's got to be better than the DirecTV SD I've been getting and at $29.99/month, it seems like a good deal.

If I move (which is probably a 90% probability), it'll probably be no earlier than June or July. Right now, I'm just doing the research, so any and all advice is welcome.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete

I had a feeling he didn't know what he was talking about. I think he was just trying to make me feel better about buying my tv for some reason.

I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not like I have the cable option.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
any feelings about comparing dishes two room single receiver setup vs direct tv's 1 turner per tv? it sure is cheaper to set up a dish account with 1 hd tv and 1 sd.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Where did that come from? I have a total of 6 tuners (2 in a standard def DirecTivo, 2 in a HD DirecTivo and 2 in an HD DVR) shared between the only 2 TV's in my house. Dish limits you to a max of 4 tuners per account. I don't agree with those policies.

-Robert

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
I've had Direct TV four years now, but the new HD has been a disaster. The package we had was changed without notifying us, and when I called to complain I was offered the channels taken away for three months before the increase; I refused. I've had them out twice to realign the dish/transceiver but still get pixellation on channels that used to come in clean with the old box but it didn't support local channels nor the new HD stations. Forced to switch to the H20 DVR which does not work well at all for us. Can't trust HD recording,many times we simply get a black screen. If you're watching HD channels many times all I see is the "searching for signal" message. My wife wanted to bail out months ago but I held on and now look like a fool. I can't justify them any longer :angry:

Goko

Agent
Real Name
Joe E
I have Dish and I'm very happy with the HD service in particular the HD-DVR equipment which came free with my start up package. I think with DirecTV you have to pay $200 for the HD-DVR(?) and I think their HD-DVR is in short supply(?) Clearly, research needs to be done before subscribing to either service.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The DirecTV HD DVR was in short supply last year, but I don't believe that is still the case.

The DirecTV website shows that the HD DVR costs $199, but if I were moving I would threaten to switch to Dish and my guess is that they will provide the HD DVR for free. DirecTV also has a "Mover's Advantage" program whereby all you have to do is take your current DirecTV receiver(s) with you and they will install a new dish and hook everything up at the new location for free.

Regarding the HD programming on DirecTV -- they offer several packages. The "premier" package used to include HDNET Movies and Universal HD. Then they added MGM HD, but after a while they decided to add another tier ($4.99/month) called "HD Extra Pack" and they moved HDNET Movies, Universal HD and MGM HD into the "Extra Pack." Also included in the Extra Pack are Music HD and Smithsonian HD.

I have had DirecTV HD since January, 2007 and I have experienced very few problems with it. My impression is that the HD channels are bit more susceptible to "rain fade" than the SD channels. The DirecTV receiver is not as user-friendly as Tivo, but it suffices. And contrary to what some have said, you can record on one channel while watching another channel, and you can record two channels simultaneously. Is it perfect? No. There is occasional pixelization, and occasional lip synch problems (I have found that lip synch problems can usually be corrected by changing channels and them coming back to the channel I was watching).

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
During a recent blizzard my directv dish was pretty covered in ice and snow and my HD service was working perfectly.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not the snow or rain on the dish that stops the signal, it's the water in the atmosphere that does it. The new D* satellites broadcast on the Ka band while the old D* satellites use the Ku band (or vice versa). The frequency band used by the new satellites is more succeptable to rain fade. It's physics and nothing can be done about it.

-Robert

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Richard Gallagher said:
Regarding the HD programming on DirecTV -- they offer several packages. The "premier" package used to include HDNET Movies and Universal HD. Then they added MGM HD, but after a while they decided to add another tier ($4.99/month) called "HD Extra Pack" and they moved HDNET Movies, Universal HD and MGM HD into the "Extra Pack." Also included in the Extra Pack are Music HD and Smithsonian HD.

QUOTE]

Any word on future pricing/packaging changes now that the second sattelite has launched?

We were in Costco last night and they have a different DirectTV model HD DVR, black face but forget the model number for $179.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
perhaps i should have said direct tv's minimum of 1 tuner per tv while dish uses 1 turner for 2 tvs. at least that's the picture i'm getting from dish's website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks