Direct TV, How clear does your line of site need to be?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Graham, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Stephen Graham

I beleive I'm going to have some trees in my line of sight. Will I still be able to get a strong signal ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Trees will block the signal. You need to find a hole in the foliage or check to see if the line of sight will be over the treetops.

3. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Steve:
    Check out this DIRECTV web page. You enter your zip code and it gives you the required Azimuth (compass direction) and elevation (angle upward). I guess you can then eyeball it and see if the tress would be a problem.

4. Mark McQuaide

Mark McQuaide Auditioning

Here's a note regarding trees in the LOS...I installed my dish (oval HD dish, sees 2 satellites) in November of last year. Right around springtime, I lost the HD satellite signal completely. After endless troubleshooting, I finally paid the $80 to have an installer come out, and the answer was...my dish was looking through a tree. When the leaves came out in the spring, no signal. Moved the dish to a pole in the yard and everything works again.

Mark

5. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Same here. Our first install was in the fall on top of our house. During leaf out in spring, we did not lose signal completely, but during high winds with the 'problem' tree swaying, would lose it for seconds at a time. Around that time we had just built a 2 story garage separate from the house. We re-installed our dish on the garage, 25 ft off the ground, (with nothing in the way). Our signal was locked in while installed on the house at about 96 or 98 %. When we moved to the garage it locked at 100%. Only problems now are the big 20/30 thousand foot storms from the South.

6. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Based on the above link I have learned that I require an azimuth of 231.6. Can someone translate that into N-S-E-W for me?

Thanks.

Larry-geographically-challenged-B

7. Mark McQuaide

Mark McQuaide Auditioning

Just point it to a spot towards south Texas. Set the elevation and tilt (for oval dishes) per the instructions, then manually swing the azimuth till you get a signal. I just followed the instructions and had no problem.

Mark

8. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Larry: North is 0 degrees (12 o'clock) East is 90 degrees (3 o'clock), South is 180 degrees (6 o'clock) and west is 270 degrees (9 o'clock).
    I recon that 231 degrees would be a tad more than midway between 6 and 9 o'clock or a bit more than 7:30.
    I think that holds for standard and daylight savings time :wink: :wink: :wink:
    Direct TV says that folks in the East need to point their dishes towards the south-west, so I think my numbers are right.