direct tv hdtv set-up question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Posey, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

May 15, 2001
    I have recently purchased a hdtv and am relatively new to the world of direct tv.(subscribing for about two months now). I am interested in recieving hi def signals from directv, but I have a lot of questions. First, can I just aim a second 18" dish towards the hi-def satellite or will I have to get the elliptical dish. Second, will the hd-direct-tv box perform a similar funcition on the non-hd signals as the dvdo scaler would. finally(for now) on the back of mutli-switch package, the diagram seem to suggest that one could split the signal coming from lnb to two boxes and watch separate programs. Is this possible?
  2. Bill Hollifield

Bill Hollifield Auditioning

Feb 11, 2000
    1. You can use two dishes; each need a dual LNB with all four outputs wired to the multiswitch. There is a good explanations of this at:
    See Wayne Bundrick's comments.
    2. I assume the DVDO scaler would be superior to the one in the HDTV STB. I keep my STB in the 480 mode for non-HDTV material and used the scaler in the Pioneer Pro HDTV. The difference is easily observed. I switch to 1080I for HDTV material.
    3. The multiswitch supports multiple receivers functionally as if they were an independent or standalone STB connected to a LNB. Waynes's note does an excellent job expaining the details.