What's new

Direct TV HD Tivo Setup? (1 Viewer)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Hi all,

I have been a DISH network customer since 1996 but my wife and I have decided to make the move to Direct TV as we like the Tivo HD PVR solution better than the 921 HD PVR solution from DISH.

Being a total newbie to Direct TV, could someone explain to me the setup I would need for HD Tivo?

These are my needs

1) A dish that can handle a two room setup

2) One Tivo HD sat receiver and one regular sat receiver

Since I am having a contractor in to redo my home theater, I want to prewire it for this setup, but I am not sure how many wires come down from the dish, or what switches are needed.

If anyone could help me out with a basic setup, or point me to a wiring diagram, that would be great! Thanx

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
The 3-lnb (oval) dish will have 4 lines comming off the built-in (or attached) multiswitch. Each of these connections can support 1 directv box (ie, you can do 4 rooms with standard dtv boxes). DirecTivo requires 2 lines (two tuners are built in to each unit). In this configuration, the dish supports either 3 rooms (1 dtivo + 2 boxes) or 2 rooms (2 dtivos). HD Dtivo has four built-in tuners. Two for dtv (just like standard dtivo), and two additional tuners for OTH HD signals (from an external antenna - not the dish).

You need four cables to the HD DTivo - 2 from the dish, and two from your HDTV antenna (maybe 1 rooftop + 1 indoor, or just 2 fm rooftop). You will still have two lines left from your dish, which can be run into other rooms.

If I was building new, I would run 8 cables (4 not used) for future upgrades (you might want video out in the future). Cost of 4 additional cables is nada ($30 for 100' of rg6).

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You only need 1 line from the OTA antenna, so just 3 cables to the HD-DTivo.

I'd recommend getting a standard DTivo for the 2nd room, so run 2 sat lines to each room. Once you get used to PVR viewing, watching on a standard receiver is just annoying. The standard DTivo is only $99, definitely worth it, esp. since the one Tivo fee would cover both machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks