Direct TV Hardware Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ian R, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Ian R

Ian R Agent

I'm currently shopping for a new Direct TV system.

I definitely want to get the integrated tivo unit for one of the rooms. I've pretty much noticed two receivers:

The Sony at about $399 and the Phillips at about $199. Can anyone give me reasons why the Sony is that much more expensive. In other words, convince me to spend the extra money.

Also, the company I contacted regarding installation wants to charge me $170 for an 8-way multi-switch. I can get a Spaun for $65 on ebay. Any reason not to save $100 there?

Thanks,

Ian R

2. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

American satellite. The DSR6000 (Philips)with a 24" dish for just over $200. I've had the DSR for over 4 months now, with no regrets. To me, the extra money spent on the Sony does not buy you a "better" unit....

Jim

3. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

I think the TiVo insides are identical for both units. But people who have Sony vcrs have some extra TiVo to vcr functions if they buy the Sony.

Deborah

4. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Ian - I have the Hughes GXCEBOTD, which is identical to the Philips box. Sony is not worth the extra money, IMHO. Save your money and get the Philips or Hughes boxes. Also, save the money on the multiswitch and buy it on eBay. That's where I bought mine, and it works great. I got an RCA M/S.

5. Dean Bu

Dean Bu Auditioning

I did quite a bit of research before purchasing my Philips DSR6000 several months ago. The internal hardware of the Philips, Sony, and Hughes DirecTivo units are identical. The primary difference between the Philips and Sony units have to do with the remote control and the software that is used to present the onscreen DirecTV guide. Sony has always had a superiour on-screen guide in their DirecTV units, and that holds true with the DirecTivo units. The Sony also has a more intuitive and easy to use remote control. If you own a Sony VCR, getting the Sony DirecTivo unit also makes it easier to archive to video tape.

After weighing all the options, I didn't feel the slightly better remote and prettier onscreen guide warranted the cost delta, and the Sony has been out of production on the SAT-T60 for awhile, so it was difficult to find. I love my Philips unit, have upgraded the hard drive with two new Seagate Fluid Bearing drives so that it is much more quiet. Be aware to get the full two-tuner benefit you will need two coax runs from your multiswitch to the DTivo unit.

Lastly, the only reason you should have to pay more than $100 for an 8 way multiswitch is if your coax runs are going to be more than 100ft and the installer is planning to use an actively powered 8-way multiswitch and therefore you are paying the added expense of the power supply ($170 still seems high, but your installer is going to try to make some money on the hardware he uses). As long as your runs average less than 100ft, a passive 8-way is fine. I have 5 runs coming out of my passive 8-way that I paid about $75 for and it runs fine, my longest runs are the two going to the DTivo unit and they're about 70 feet.