Direct TV Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex S, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

I tried getting Dish network installed but I didn't have a line of sight because of trees. The Dish installer said he use to work for Direct TV and I should be able to get that beacuse there satellite is lower and more South than Dish's.
    I've been checking out Best Buy, CC and calling Direct TV's 800 # to see what the best deal out there is.
    I need 2 receivers and be able to watch 2 different channels at the same time (dual LNB ?).
    Going directly through Direct TV seems to be the best deal.
    BB and CC would charge me for the second receiver and installation.
    Direct TV would be free after rebate but I would have to sign up for 1 year of programming at $49.99/month.
    It would be more because they would also charge $5.00 for the 2nd receiver and $6.00 for my local channels.
    So it would be $61 + taxes/month.
    The down side is that if I am not able to get a line of sight to Direct TV's satellite than I would have to pay $35 S&H to send the equipment back to Direct TV.
    Does anyone know of any other deals with Direct TV ?

2. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

You could also try Crutchfield or Orbit (both internet authorized sellers) but it doesn't matter who you buy your equipment from as you will have to pay DirectTV for both the second receiver and local channels if you choose those options.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If installation is included, it would have to be a local company that does it. Maybe you can call them and tell them that you're not sure if you have line of sight, and maybe they will have their own policy on that.
    Well, it is an idea. - Glenn

4. Michael Jsmith

There are some very good deals at americansattelite.com where you can get it either with or without installation at some excellent prices, and you don't have to sign up for the really expensive programming packages. I got an RCA eliptical dish and DD receiver delivered and installed for $249, and signed up the the $21.99 a month basic package.
    ------------------
    Consuming air and other valuable resources since 1953.

5. Nick

Nick Second Unit

Well, I'd like to warn you ahead that make sure they give you a new access card. They just deactivated two of my cards because they were old and they were more or less want me to order new cards from them (90 dollars upfront with 50 dollars back once you return the old ones) I refuse to pay a penny.
    I guess this is their way of saying thank you for being our royal customer for six years. It's like I'm slashing your tires and now you have to buy new tires from me if you want your car to run.
    No thanks, I deactivated my account today. With the DIHS network I can get it for free, al I have to do is to agree to sign up for one year. Which I'll be more than glad to do that. I know I'll be their customer for life as long as I own the dish.
    So, My advice is STAY AWAY FROM DIRECTV.

6. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Thanks.
    Anyone else have any opinions ?

7. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Try DishDirect.com I just bought my stuff through them. It has not shipped yet so I will repost once I get my stuff. They sell the Hughes equipment.
    ------------------
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave
    "People that talk in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch"

8. Patrick Ferrara

Blockbuster is also running promotions for DirecTV which you may want to check out.
    Patrick.
    ------------------

9. Marc Gelefsky

Marc Gelefsky Auditioning

Hey Nick,
    As far as I know DirectTV will NOT force you to deactivate your old access card unless there is a problem, they also will only charge you the full 90 bucks if you do NOT return your old access card.
    You can also get a new access card by buying a new DTV reciver, they can be had for 50 bucks these days.
    Regards,
    Marc http://typ911.com
    ------------------

10. Nick

Nick Second Unit

No, Marc Directv deactivate my card without telling me. I have two receivers. One was working fine until the next day it kept telling me to call if I want to have service (Yes, I have been paying my bills, As a matter of fact they owed me when I cancelled)
    I know what they're trying to do. They're trying to get me to buy a new access cards from them. Both of my receivers were about 6 years old. I refuse to pay a penny. I will be happy to return my old cards in exchange for new cards from them. Why should I reach in my pocket and pay them when I can go out and buy new system for the price of a card.
    Too bad, they just lost a life time customer. I just ordered Dish network from http://www.satellitedepot.com
    for $29.00 with two receivers.
    When I cancelled and they transfer my call to "win the customer back" I told him the reason why and I got the impression that he knew it all along that DirecTV has been deactivating peoples' card. I'm pretty sure they're people out there gave in and buy the card from them or their system will become useless, but I'm not going to be one of their victim. I'll go with Digital cable if I had to.

11. Marc Gelefsky

Marc Gelefsky Auditioning

Nick,
    I am shocked that they tried to charge you to accept a new card, I had a bad card and they replaced it, all I had to do was send the old one back.
    I know they are trying to get the old cards out of circulation because they have been hacked, you may remember it was in the news,CNN ..etc recently.
    I find it disturbing they would do this at the customers expense, I guess that have changed policies.
    I'm stuck with them, I do not think Dish carries Speedvision network and I need my Formula one races!
    Bummer that you were treated poorly.
    Best Regards,
    Marc http://typ911.com

12. Robert Houghton

I have two receivers, and the old one told me to please insert a valid access card. Good thing that I've been reading about this problem on the forums like this one. When I called they told me that I would have to replace my access card for the 90.00 and receive a 50.00 credit when they received the old one back. I told them that there was nothing wrong with my card until they decided to zap it. I told them I had three choices 1-Sell it to hackers for 300.00 2- Buy all new equipment from dish for 50.00 (which now I think that is what I should have done) 3- pay you 40.00 for have to get a new access card that you caused to go bad.(By the way, they never did deny this). To finish the story they gave me an extra 25.00 discount, so I stayed with them for about 15.00. Probably the wrong choice.
    Thanks for listening Bob H.
    ------------------

13. Rick N

Rick N Auditioning

I've had cards go bad in the receiver as well and reluctantly agreed to return the cards for new ones from Direct however I never did return the bad cards and they sent me new ones overnight and still havn't charged me.
    Regarding your line-of site problems:
    Did the first installer tell you that you could see the direct TV sat (I think its at 101)? If its lower in the sky I would guess it would be harder to see in most cases, unlees you have some wierd geography. Beware of the switch tactic.
    Also check out Ebay for new receivers and cards. can be gotten for ~70USD and no obligation.