Direct to TV or through receiver?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Darksyde, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Mike Darksyde

If you have the option of going directly from a componet to the TV or going through the receiver first, does it make a difference?

Should I only send audio of my dvd player to my receiver while I send video direct to the display? Is there any downgrade if I go through the Receiver first?

2. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Anytime you add something to the path of a signal there is going to be something extra added. Will you notice it, maybe , maybe not. Just run it directly to the TV unless you absolutely have to run it to the receiver first.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Depends on the bandwidth that you're getting out of your DVD and the bandwidth in your receiver. Not having kept up thoroughly with what's out there, I've seen receiver bandwidths of 50, 100, 200 mHz.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the easy answer is to try it both ways and see if you notice any video signal degredation. if you see a difference, then the answer is obvious.

i have everything hooked up to my receiver first.

i love the ability to have "one-stop" switching. it drives me crazy to have to switch the audio at the receiver, then go to the tv to switch the video. however, some people have been able to program their remote to execute a macro that gets around that little quip.