Direct tivo units...questions about cable signal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Paskovics, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Chuck Paskovics

Chuck Paskovics Stunt Coordinator

I'm contimplating a direct tivo unit. Since the tivo is built into the dss receiver, is it possible to record not just dss signals, but also the cable signal? So if there is something on my local channels will I be able to record it to tivo or am I limited to only dss signals?

If so, can I record both a dss signal and a cable signal at the same time (with the duel boxes)?

2. Brian Gentry

Brian Gentry Agent

AFAIK, the DirecTivo units do not have an MPEG encoder built in to them. Nor do they have external inputs. So, you won't be able to record off of cable using this unit.

The chief reason that they are able to offer the ability to record from two DBS streams at the same time, is that there is no encoding to worry about. They just take the satellite signal, already MPEG-2 encoded, and put it on disk.

Brian.

3. David WS

David WS Stunt Coordinator

You can get local channels via DirecTV in most major markets now (Even PBS, WB and UPN). So in a way your problem with recording local channels is moot. If you don't want Sat service, you need to get a standalone(Analog) Tivo. It will allow you to record from Cable.

4. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit