Direct Sell - Online Speaker Mfr's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dickson_O, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Dickson_O

Dickson_O Auditioning

Anyone have experience with the online, direct market speaker manufacturers such as Ascend Acoustics, nOrh, etc.
    Opinions?
    I'm curious as to how they compare with more expensive $3000 - $5000 setups.
    I'm looking for a full HT speaker setup, with front, rear, center, sub, etc., but listen to music 60% of the time. I want something that sounds good with jazz, etc., but also with Rock, Country, etc.
    Thx.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Try a search on this forum when the server isn't too heavily loaded (I believe the search function is disabled when the load is high). nOrh has a very large following here, I've heard Ascend Acoustics discussed, as well as many other direct-to-home manufacturers - Home Theater Direct, for instance.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Harmonic Discord is a forum specializing in Internet / direct market audio companies. Give it a browse.
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

4. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

Just bought the nOrh 4.0 ceramic video system (5 speakers $850.00). Replaced a mix of Canton mains and KEF center/rears. I bought them based upon the word of mouth here and other sites. I could not be more pleased. The soundstage and imaging are amazing. The benefit of 5 identical speakers is also obvious. Have also purchased from SVS and Outlaw and have had similar excellent experiences. If there is a nOrh owner in your area they are usually very eager to show off their speakers.

5. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

BTW running the SVS 20-39CS with the nOrhs. A perfect blend.

6. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

You folks have mentioned some fine companies, but how could you have forgotten to mention ACI(Audio Concepts International)? :^)
    Go to audioc.com, and you'll see what I mean. Then, go check out their support group at smr-forums.com. Finally, check out their reviews at audioreview.com and audioasylum.com, and you'll understand.
    ------------------

7. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Dickson,
    I have purchased from both nOrh and SVS, and I have found the quality per price on these two companies in particular is immense. I am personally very satisfied.
    I have not heard ACI, Swan, Axiom, or Ascend Acoustics products, but they also have a fine rep for good value. AV-Reality is also selling some very nice-looking speakers with extremely high-end drivers in your price range.
    If you're ever in Virginia or plan to be in the near future, please arrange to stop by for a demo.
    John

8. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I have Axiom/SVS HT setup and really like the combination.
    Axiom M60Ti mains
    Axiom VP100 CC
    Axiom M3ti surrounds on 26" stands
    SVS 20-39cs/Samson 700
    I surprised myself by buying all my speakers over the 'net. I never thought I'd do that as I couldn't imagine buying without hearing. But I have been quite pleased with the results.
    'Course with a money back if not pleased deal, it was hard to go wrong. [​IMG]
    (Receiver is an Onkyo 989.)
    ------------------
    --RR

9. Doug_JC

Doug_JC Extra

I received my HTD Level 3 tower system about 2 weeks ago and I think they sound fantastic. They do a very good job for both home theater and music. They are on the large size, so if space is an issue they might not be good. Particularly good if you like heavy bass. I got the cherry red, very nice, really solid speakers. For around $1000 I think they are a bargain. Seems like a 1st class company as well, the grill on my sub-woofer was torn in the corner (due to shipping). I emailed them and they sent out a replacement grill that day.
    http://www.hometheaterdirect.com
    See a review at http://www.cheaphometheater.com/
    ------------------

10. Doug_JC

Doug_JC Extra

One other nice thing about HTD. They have a 30 day home trial, if you dont like them you can send them back and HTD even picks up the shipping (except on the front or rear towers, you pay the shipping)
    ------------------

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I have to second Randy's recommendation. I have an all ACI speaker system and absolutely love them! Absolutely the best customer support I've ever seen, too! A setup with 5 Emeralds would be hard to beat.
    Also, ACI's been around 25 years and are still going strong. They must be doing something right!
    Brian
    ------------------

12. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I've gotten several items from different internet only companies and have been very pleasantly surprised. Here's what I have thus far (in the order I received it too [​IMG]):
    nOrh 3.0 (pair)
    nOrh 4.0 package
    SVS 20-39CS (ordered two but ended up selling one)
    Outlaw 1050 (B stock unit)
    nOrh Le Amp (2 - both still breaking in)
    On the way:
    Interconnects from Shamrock Audio.
    All of the components have been wonderful. The 3.0s sound similar to the 4.0s but not nearly as detailed. The SVS has blown away every subwoofer I've listened to putting out clean, deep bass. The 1050 is a fantastic receiver as it has a variable crossover and puts out clean sound. The Le Amps - too early to give a formal review of them but they are a wonderful improvement over the 1050. In the future I will continue to purchase from these various online companies. Eventually I hope to upgrade my mains to either the SM 6.1s or SM 6.9s and adding the ACA 2 and CD-1, possibly even more Le Amps and the Outlaw 950. The most important thing is that you are happy with whatever you decide to get and do not second guess yourself. Good luck!

13. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

I recently purchased an Axiom speaker package. I have M22Ti's for the mains, QS4's for the surounds, a VP100 center, and an EP175 sub. This is my first 5.1 system so I don't have anything to compare them to, but I like them. They are a Canadian company - http://www.axiomaudio.com
    I purchased from this store in Canada - they have better pricing then the Axiom web site: http://www.audioshop.on.ca/axiom.htm

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I know the great praise nOrh gets all over the net, how you need to spend much more to get similar performance...
    I am just curious as to how the nOrh 4 compare to the Paradigm Monitor 7 or anything from the monitor line?
    If it is better, I could sell my whole set up and buy these little beasts without loss!
    --
    Holadem - I might have to audiotion them tho...