What's new

Direct Graphic DVD Comparisons now Online! (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The HD looks really blown out there. Too much brightness and contrast.

Edit: Ah I see it's not an actual screenshot. Sorry.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Just saw your EDIT Paul ... but anyway:
It isn't Paul.

Translation through my digital camera is not perfect for translation of contrast. From the first paragraph of the review:
...But you always have to bear in mind the images are totally dependent on the limitations of the digital camera, among other things. For instacne in some of Gary's caps brightly lit areas appear "hot spotted" (a common phenomenon with lower rez. LCD projectors) when in fact they are not. I don't know of any review sites that have yet accessed the crack codes to actually capture images from HD or BD discs on the computer, so everyone doing HD reviews has to rely on relatively subjective language.

But I can almost get over my reservations about the new color timing given all the other glories of the HD transfer. But NOT the SD version....
The HD-DVD is about as close to perfect as I have ever seen.

Best,
Gary

stevenHa

Second Unit
Has anyone done a comparison between region 1 and region 2 dvds for Mel Brook's History of the World Part 1 ? I saw a video capture from a region 2 dvd and it looks so incredible but I'm wondering if it might have been enhanced in photoshop.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
If anyone is curious I have done a review of the HD-DVD version of Kurosawa's RAN from Studio Canal in France. We posted some captures comparing it to the Criterion and Optimum (UK) SD DVDs.
For those unaware - HD-DVDs do not have region or standard coding. This DVD will play on any HD-player (firmware upgraded) in the world. The link is on our homepage. But this particular HD-DVD has many limitations.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/
Best,

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
^^^

Framing slightly different. 2 different transfers? Or the capture method?

Also note the Blu-ray version uses the same transfer/encode as the HD DVD and is not region coded either.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
See, I can't take your SD/HD comparisons with a grain of salt now because you're using a regular capturing method for one and a totally bullshit way for the other. Using a digital camera for a screencapture is like taking a picture of a painting then framing said picture like a painting. It's completely erroneous and faulty. Consider a better option to do a more accurate screenshot comparison for HD and I might reconsider your site as being worthy to go to. Look for the AVSForum perhaps on how to do some HD screencaptures properly.
Also, being biased towards Criterion helps no one either. Thumbs down.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
It's completely erroneous and faulty.
How do you figure?
The DVD looks just like the digital photos on my professionally calibrated system.... or I wouldn't have posted it. ?!?!? Sorry you don't like it, but the HD looks that good, bright, colorful and... better to my eye and I know a little about this stuff. I own 4500 DVDs and have reviewed somewhere over 3000 myself. MANY of these sites are using digital photos for comparitive purposes but they are just not admitting it. Check out HERE. These are Digital photos of a projected image.
I know how to obtain screen captures via computer but they are far too large to post on a website (1920 x 1080 upwards), plus it is a lengthy procedure for me as I must copy the DVD to my hard drive (20+ Gig at times) using the XBox Add-on. It is not practical for those two reasons. Shrinking the image doesn't help it retain its benefits. I have large caps for The Adv of Robin Hood but it doesn't translate to how superior the HD image actually is. I can obtain more accurate results using the camera.
I resent that you claim I am biased toward Criterion - they are the greatest DVD production company in the world, but I give negative, and always truthful comments on their products frequently (interlaced transfers on Koko, Tokyo Twilight in the Late Ozu Box etc.). I never even see other reviews know what a progressive transfer is let alone talk about it. You are insulting (bigger thumbs down).
If you don't like it don't visit my website. In fact give me your IP and I can ban you if that makes it less enticing for you.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
In our review of Criterion's "Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara" we have compared to the corresponding UK DVDs (from BFI – Woman in the Dunes, and MoC – Pitfall and The Face of Another). The Criterion boxset once again has pictureboxed transfers.
From Woman in the Dunes
BFI

Criterion

Cheers,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
2 upcoming releases....
Criterion - Region 1 - NTSC "Ivan's Childhood" vs. MK2 - Region 0 - PAL vs. Artificial Eye - Region 0 - PAL vs. Spectrum (Korean) - Region 3 - NTSC
Paramount (Special Collector's Edition) - Region 1 - NTSC "The Rainmaker" vs. Paramount - Region 1- NTSC
Ivan's Childhood:
Mk2

Criterion

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks