What's new

Direct Graphic DVD Comparisons now Online! (1 Viewer)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Your site is bookmarked, of course, and I frequently check for updates, but if it wasn't for your posts, I would have never found the site in the first place!
So please keep posting, nobody's complaining.....
There probably is not much discussion going on in this thread for the simple reason that... there's not a whole lot to add to what you have already done.
He's right. :emoji_thumbsup:
BTW: Does anybody know why the R2/BFI version of Salò doesn't seem to suffer from the PAL speed-up?

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
New: DVD Comparison: RusCico "Belle De Jour" vs. Miramax
Big thanks to Gregory for all his work on this obtaining both sets of screen captures...
As the image quality seems negligible, I have made links to the native resolutions.
Anyone have any opinions on these, please let me know.
DVD Comparison: RusCico "Belle De Jour" vs. Miramax

Link Removed
What is that bitrate thing?
RE: The Bitrate. It does have its limitations., but is better than simply a curiousity. On the Main page we have listed the "Methodology" with a better understanding of the bitrate charts.
Regards,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the support !
From now on I will go to the extent of determining whether or not the image was film or video sourced. With Jeroen help I can determine in most cases. I put my Power DVD in "weave" mode and wait for a horizontal panning shot, if I see any "Combing" it is video sourced.
I have done a side-by-side comparison of True Romance, the old Warner release ( video sourced ) vs. the new Special Edition ( film sourced ). The differences are huge. You can even see ( in captures 3, 4 and 5 ) that the original release was cropped (2.35 to 2.20)...
Link Removed It's in the R1 vs R1 Section !
Regards,

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey,

I'd love a comparison of the R2 vs R2 Pride and prejudice. The R1 has some odd pixelation artifacts during pans and seems to be PAL-NTSC conversion (looks pretty bad depsite being 16x9).

I've always wondered if the R2 is any better (perhaps bcs it's native PAL?)

-dave

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to Steffen Becker for his comparison of the Criterion "M" (Fritz
Lang) to Universum (German) - R2
Link Removed
Granted 3 years later edition... but the animated .gif he did helps shows
it...
That's 17 Criterion comparisons ( listed below), with them only be best in
about half:
Universum Film (German - R2 ) "M" vs. Criterion Region 1
Criterion R1 "Salò or The 120 Days of Sodom" vs. BFI Region 2
Criterion Region 1 "Diabolque" vs. TF1 Vidéo Region 2
Pioneer "Rashomon" vs. Criterion Region 1 vs. German Television transmission
Criterion Collection Region 1 "In the Mood For Love" vs. TF1 French Video
Region 2
Criterion "Andrei Rublev" Region 1 vs. Ruscico/Artificial Eye Region 2
Criterion R0 "The Cranes are Flying" vs. R0 RusCiCo
Criterion Region 0 NTSC "The Killer" vs. Region 1 encoded Fox/Lorber -
Winstar
Criterion Region 1 "The Lady Vanishes" vs. Platinum Disc Corp. Region 0
Criterion Region 1 "The 39 Steps" vs. LaserLight Region 0
Universal Studios Region 1 "Spartacus" vs. Criterion Region 1
Universal Studios Region 1 "Do the Right Thing" vs. Criterion Region 1
Criterion Collection "Juliet of the Spirits" Region 1 vs. Image
Entertainment Region 1
Criterion Region 1 encoded "Hard Boiled" vs. Region 1 encoded Fox/Lorber
- Winstar
Criterion Region 0 "The 400 Blows" vs. Region 0 Fox/Lorber - Winstar
Criterion "Rebecca" Region 1 vs. Anchor Bay "Rebecca" Region 1
Criterion "Notorious" Region 1 vs. Anchor Bay "Notorious" Region 1
I hope we are not being considered an anti-Criterion site because of this...
Gary

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
In Criterions defense, it is likely they had inferior elements for M.
As for the All About My Mother comparision on your site, seems something seems askew there, as some of the criticisms leveled against the R1 are actually true of the R2. In particular, it is obvious that the R2 is cropped, but the summary claims that the R1 is. :confused:

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Nice M comparison. I just replaced my poor R2/UK copy with the Criterion, which is in fact R0 BTW.
One thing: in the comparison, it is mentioned that the German release "features the newly restored, longer version which premiered at the Berlinale in 2001".
I thought that the Criterion DVD already contains the longest available version. Can someone explain?

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
And just as the words have left my mouth, Criterion bests another RusCiCo, with ( for the aficionados ) - Native resolution screen caps:
Criterion "Ballad of Soldier" vs. RusCiCo
Link Removed
All screenshots courtesy by Ashirg
Unless you are just about anything but English or Russian, then this is an easy one. The Criterion quality far exceeds the RusCiCo in every capture. The Ruscico disc has, of course, more subtitles as they always do...they have also upgraded the original soundtrack to 5.1 from monaural... purists would not approve, so its a personal choice. Regardless, Criterion wins this one quite easily. Ohh yeah, the RusCiCo interview with director Chukhrai is 20 minutes longer and much more detailed, actually more modern, the Criterion stuff is stills and a radio segment from the 60's. I suppose REAL fans might want both... but those just keen on the film will want the Criterion.
One thing: in the comparison, it is mentioned that the German release "features the newly restored, longer version which premiered at the Berlinale in 2001".
I thought that the Criterion DVD already contains the longest available version. Can someone explain?
I have asked Steffen becker, who did the comparison. he has not got back to me yet...'
Regards,

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
It says,"Region 5 - PAL (Europe, Middle East & Japan only)". Maybe the Europe/Japan part is wrong then. I knew R5 was Russian but that last bit confused me.

but "Geary" IS a typo
Doh! Thats what you get while holding the baby in one hand and typing with the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks