What's new

Direct Graphic DVD Comparisons now Online! (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
PowerDVD tends to export the screen captures in rectangular pixels. Some programs can accomidate this (Photoshop, for example) Others can't, like Microsoft Paint, giving you the 720x480 source image, which features a ratio of 1.50:1. When doing capping for my own reviews with PowerDVD (see sig for recent examples), I always resize the caps to 720x405 on anamorphic titles to regain the 16x9 proper shape, then crop away overscan bars from that. Hope that's informative as to the possible squeeze problem.

P.S. A great site, very informative service. I will be sure to consult it on titles where there is more than one version. I noticed the Region 1 releases tend to have better color fidelity over their comparative releases. Truman Show is a clear example of a better looking transfer, despite the fact the Region 1 is non-anamorphic and the other release is anamorphic.

As for Criterion releases vs. other releases, they seem to be of a lower bitrate, but have better color fidelity and respect composition more. Sparticus is a clear example of this (Perhaps because of RAH's involvement in their release?) However I tend to favor the competition for black and white releases, were the bitrate has a much more noticable effect.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Good stuff. The Truman Show comparisons were not as obvious as I would have thought (following the "PAL = better" principal so many follow). There looks to be slightly finer detail in skin tones on the R1 in those face shots.

The town shot is harder to judge given the different framing, the anamrophic R2 has the SLIGHT edge there in the minute detail on the houses and in colour.

I honestly can't see any difference between the two North By Northwest samples.
It's slight. Overall contrast, though most notably in skin tone, is higher on the R1. Compare Grant's face and hands and you should note the small differences there. R2s paler look suits the skin tones more, but I like the R1s depth for other colour (observe his hair and suit and the menu in hand).

What the deal is with the colour on the R2 Vertigo I have no idea. I have seen these shots before... Topaz too, the colour depth seems a lot better on the R1.

Dead Poets Society R2 looks a lot nicer in colour more than it does noticable detail, but good in both it must be said. Disney need a kick to put those extras on an anamorphic R1 re-issue.

I can't seem to access the Spartacus and Do the Right Thing comparisons. Dead links on both.

Dan

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The Image Nosferatu is a LOT better than the BFI one. David Shepard really pulled out the stops for the SE transfer
I thought the tinting on the BFI version is supposed to be superior to the Image release.
The French version has German intertitles however. Does anybody know if these intertitles faithfully replicate the original intertitles? And does the French release also have the wonderful James Bernard score?
When I bought Dead Poets Society (R2) last month, I was really surprised by the inclusion of an audio commentary featuring Peter Weir. I thought that he wasn't really supporting special features.......

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, one thing to keep in mind on bitrates, white (lighter) takes more bits than black (dark) generally speaking in MPG/JPG compression. That is, by making the overall picture darker you can often reduce the file size of a JPG, for example

Hard-Boiled is a good example of this in application. Criterion appears to have the black level done properly, while Winstar definately has the picture washed out. So while their bitrate is higher it would seem to have more to do with the encoding of the lighter gray blacks versus the more accurate and darker Criterion image.

edit - notice also the HUGE increase on the DtRT bitrate...well increasing colors and adding lines of video for the anamorphic version have a lot to do with that (though the overall detail also looks better).

Gary, this is an excellent feature. I just stumbled onto it. I sure hope you can keep it up.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Another in the Region 1 vs. Region 1 Section
Ocean Shores Region 0 "Chungking Express" vs. Rolling Thunder Pictures Region 1
Link Removed

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Added:
Alliance Atlantis Region1 "The Red Violin" vs. Universal Region 1
I believe I got the exact frame for 5 of the 6 images...
Link Removed

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
For a laugh: ( Here is an even bigger reason Bill ! )
TBMC Region 0 "The Seven Year Itch" vs. CBS/Fox Region 1
in the "Region 1(or '0' NTSC) vs. Region 1" section.
Link Removed
The Pan and Scan TBMC version represents what I remember when seeing the film on televsion many many years ago... Quite a huge difference.
By the way, Our "The Red Violin" comparison lean towards that film being shot in 'Open Matte' ie. " ...a variable aspect ratio (usually 1.66:1 or 1.85:1) "... and specified matted by the projectionist in the theatre.
Regards,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Two more updates:
Artificial Eye Region 2 PAL "Ivan's Childhood" vs. German Television transmission ( by Steffen Bieker [email protected] )
Criterion Region 0 NTSC "The Killer" vs. Region 1 encoded Fox/Lorber - Winstar
Link Removed
Regards,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
FYI,
With the help of Jeroen, Markus has added the Starmax NTSC Yi Yi Region 0 version to his DVD Comparison in the NTSC vs. PAL section.
Link Removed
It is by the far the best version of the three, as you can plainly see.
It now reads:
Fox Lorber NTSC Region 0 "Yi Yi" vs. ICA Projects PAL Region 2 vs Starmax NTSC Region 0
Cheers,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
New One:
Artificial Eye - R2 - PAL "Rosetta" vs. SPRING - Region 0 - NTSC
NOTE: I only bought the SPRING one because it was so cheap on EBay and I didn't own a region-free player at that stage. It was the only option on DVD for Region 1 NTSC 'ers.
Cheers,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
My R2 discs arrived so I can do a few more. I have posted:
Mega Star (Salon Films) - NTSC - Region 0 "Cyclo" vs. ARTE - Region 2 - PAL
Link Removed
Cheers,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Two new Comparisons:
Columbia Tri-Star Studios - NTSC Region 1 "The Scent of Green Papaya" vs. ARTE - Region 2 - PAL
- the Pan and Scan Columbia disc is miles behind the Arte... I hate to compainn about Columbia Tri-Star as their discs are usually magnificent. I don't know why they didn't put the effort into this one.
Artificial Eye - PAL Region 2 "Eureka" vs. Artist Film - Japanese Region 2 - NTSC
This last one really shows the flaws of the Artificial Eye DVD...
Link Removed
Cheers,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Three more:
Central Park Media Region 0- NTSC "Grave of the Fireflies" vs. Warner Bros. Japan R2 - NTSC
Artificial Eye - R2 - PAL "La Promesse" vs. New Yorker Film - Region 1 - NTSC
and in the R1 vs. R1 section "Singin' in the Rain" Old R1 vs. Upcoming "New" R1 ( courtesy of DVD Authority)
Link Removed
Not much to say about any La Promesse differences - pretty compatible... but we R1'ers got shafted on the Grave of the Fireflies... I wonder if the new one (also by Central Park Media) coming out with have a better image and the proper aspect ratio (not picture-boxed) as well as Ebert's commentary...
Cheers,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I have redone the captures for the Hard Boiled comparison in the R1 section. I now realize why, on this particular film, that it was hard matching the correct frame. Criterion has slightly cropped there image on the DVD (my guess is to remove the apparent frayed edges visible on the Fox/Lorber DVD).
Criterion first, Fox next

Link Removed
Cheers,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
New Comparison:
Zeitgeist Video Region 1- NTSC "Water Drops on Burning Rocks" vs. Artificial Eye Region 2 - PAL
The Artificial Eye disc is a bit more detailed, check out the title screen, buildings in the distance have more detail. You can clearly see there's more detail in the Artificial Eye disc: watch the skin under her eyes in the 5th capture below. The Zeitgeist Video Disc is washed out, plus whites are clipping. The Artificial Eye disc has better skin tones. On the Zeitgeist Video Disc they are too green.
In favor of the Zeitgeist R1 the Artificial Eye disc is cropped a little compared to the OAR of 1.66:1.
The Artificial Eye disc shows combing in the fast movement. You can't see it now because of the resolution adjustment for the webpage, but in the original untouched capture you could clearly see it. The Artificial Eye disc is a bit too dark. Black level is excellent though, but there's not enough shadow detail. - Jeroen H. Komen
Link Removed
Cheers,
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks