What's new

DIRECT FROM MGM: ESCAPE FROM NY is NOT BEING EDITED FOR DVD! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am starting a new thread on this subject.
MGM called me at home this evening.
They are very concerned about this thread
that has now been closed.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum15/HTML/031848.html
Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Great info, thanks for clarifying. Good to hear it from the horse's mouth. MGM's had some strong SE's announced and delivered lately and I found this rumor hard to swallow.
Sorry it interupted the Warner Bros. chat. Good that this is out of the way, though.
GOOD NEWS!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks for posting this, Ron. Between their questionable reviews and their posting of gossip as "news", DVDFile's credibility is reaching an all-time low.
M.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm glad MGM has clarified this. I don't see how they would have managed to edit out the WTC from Escape from New York anyway....it would have destroyed a key sequence.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Oh thak god!
Some more good news in what has turned out to be a REALLY lousy day.
-Nate
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
In fairness to DVD File, they DID disclaim that they got the original information from a FANGORIA magazine interview with John Carpenter.
However, it just goes to show that we should all take these kinds of things with a grain of salt until the STUDIOS have something to say.
Thanks for sharing this, Ron! Good news, indeed.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
In fairness to DVD File, they DID disclaim that they got the original information from a FANGORIA magazine interview with John Carpenter.
I still think DVDFile should be slammed GOOD AND HARD for their inexcusable sloppiness in NOT verifying the story with MGM first.
Poor reporting, DVDFile.
------------------

Britton

Screenwriter
Well, they've posted an update on DVD File:
Following the rapid spread of the news yesterday regarding possible digital alterations to the upcoming DVD special edition of John Carpenter's Escape From New York in response to the recent events on 9-11 (see yesterday's news below), MGM has responded to the story and stated that it is not true. According to an MGM spokesperson, "We have no plans nor did we ever have any plans" to alter or change Escape From New York in any form.
Yet according to a recent Fangoria article (set to appear in issue #155) Carpenter is directly quoted as being upset with these supposed changes, so how to account for these differing takes? We hope to hear from Carpenter's production company itself soon, so stay tuned...
I think someone needs to tell these idiots that Fangoira #155 was on newsstands a few years ago. Idiots...

Rob T

Screenwriter
thanks for the update, Ron! :)
Escape From New York is back up on my Must Buy list. :)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Thank God this isn't true. I apologize to those at MGM for my comments in the earlier thread. You just have to understand how passionate some people are about certain movies. Being a John Carpenter fan, I see him get treated with little respect sometimes and it bothers me. Would someone try to alter something of Spielberg's? (Well, Spielberg himself would probably alter it himself, but that's beside the point :) )
Anyway, I've lifted my boycott of MGM and, all things considered, they're still one of my favorite companies. Once again, to MGM, I am sorry.
I have now learned to watch what I believe off of DVDFile.com If you'll remember, they're the same website that said that Anchor Bay was working on a Special Edition of Prom Night. Well, as we all saw, in the Anchor Bay chat, the Anchor Bay guy said no such project was in development at all. So, I advise everyone out there to watch what they say at DVDFile.com. They've proven themselves quite unreliable as of late. If they're not careful, they'll be the laughing stock of the DVD rumor world.

Hey does anyone know if they are planning to issue the theatrical cut again w/ the SE or are they going to be using the Director's Cut that I saw on VHS a whole bunch of years ago? I haven't seen that VHS in a long time and I mostly foget what was changed in the Director's Cut.
-Peter

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
What MGM DIDN'T mention is that they ARE going to do an edit...they will be placing that tourist kid from the hoax "top of the WTC with plane approaching" picture on top of the WTC when Snake lands.
He will grab a tow rope and help halt the glider. He will then hand Snake a granola bar and a bottled water from his backback.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

------------------
Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
The Warrior of the Wasteland!
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
DVDFile has updated their 2 EFNY reports to remove reference to "issue #155," likely due to e-mails from myself and others. they still claim that the Carpenter interview in which he said the quotes in question will appear in an upcoming Fangoria issue and they are waiting for a confirmation/denial from Carpenter's team.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks