What's new

DirecHDTV -AND- DirecTivo (1 Viewer)

I've started looking at DirectTV to replace my digitial cable, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. I was hoping some of you guys could point me in the right direction on some things.

To begin with, I really want HDTV programming in my main viewing room, but I also really want the Tivo service. I know these aren't compatible on the same receivers, but can I put two different receivers on 1 TV?

In other words, I was thinking about getting a HD compatible dish, a HD DirecTV receiver and a DirecTivo receiver. I wanted to put these both on the big screen TV, on different inputs of course, so that I could watch live HD content if I wanted or I could watch Tivo content at normal resolution.

I would also need a third reciever, just a normal one for the bedroom. No Tivo or HD in there.

Is this possible? Any suggestions on the hardware to purchase: I've seen dishes from RCA and Phillips, receivers from Samsung and Hughes, etc, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

Seth

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You could definitely do this, but you have access cards for both receivers you'll have to pay the second-room fee each month for the second receiver, even though it's not in a different room.

You may want to get a basic non-hd package for now and hold off a few months because Hughes is supposed to be releasing a DirectHDTivo near the end of this year or early next year.

You may want to get a basic non-hd package for now and hold off a few months because Hughes is supposed to be releasing a DirectHDTivo near the end of this year or early next year.
Yeah, I read that last night and that's what I'm leaning towards right now. If that is what I choose to do, should I just get 2 standard receivers for now but pay for a HD compatible dish so that all I have to buy later is the HD/Tivo combo box?

Have you heard any speculation on the retail cost of such a device?

Thanks for the advice,
Seth

Pete Walker

Agent
I'm relatively new to this forum. I was going to say that unless you are strapped for cash, get the DirecTiVo either way, as it's only $99. Worst case scenario, just ebay it later on, and I bet you make back 75% or so. My suggestion would be to keep it, and stick it in another room.

I have the DirecTiVo now, and am looking into upgrading to HDTV, and I have to research all this stuff myself, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread