What's new

Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms - DVD-A or DualDisc? (1 Viewer)

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Hello again,

I've been really surprised about the lack of chatter about this release. I'd imagine it's caused by two things:

A. Most of the huge fans of this album bought the $35-$40 imported SACD and this release probably just irritates them (and rightly so).

and/or

B. There is little to no reliable info on this release at all. Some websites say DVD-A, some say DualDisc (with no further info), and some are saying DVD-A+CD combo, a la Flaming Lips and R.E.M. Also there seems to be a lot of debate about the release date. Some say today (8/9), some say next week (8/16).

Has anyone heard any solid info about this disc at all? Better yet, has anyone seen it on a store shelf somewhere?

Just griping. Thanks for reading.

Justin

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Well you could order the SACD from Amazon.ca for about 16USD plus shipping:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...227971-8681118
This is the standard case version, not the digipak.

I am going to bet on a US Dual Disc release on the 16th Aug.
Won't be buying Dual Discs myself. Managed to grab the BIA SACD digipak while travelling through Singapore a few months ago. It's a great mix.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
According to CD Universe, it is a DualDisc with DVD-A - http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...art=263729447, Tower just lists it as a DualDisc, Circuit City lists it the same way as CD Universe. As noted above, only a few sites are charging a huge premium for the SACD. Tower, which is not cheap, is much cheaper than $35-40. I guess everyone will know when it comes out soon as to what format or formats are available. I picked up the SACD (and already has the XRCD). I am not interested in DualDiscs.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Interesting. I wonder if this is just a site fluke in terms of the way CD Universe lists their DDs. A Warner DD title with hi rez DVD-A content? Would that be a first?

-p

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

All Warner Dual Discs have DVD-A content. A first would be a Warner Dual Disc without DVD-A content. I think you got yurself confused with Sony (who did put out a DVD-A by the way with the most recent Foo Fighters release).

J

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Since any domestic release is going to be DVD-A, I'd prefer a DVD-A+CD release. But I think PaulT is right: it's probably going to be DualDisc. I personally don't mind DualDiscs that have DVD-A content - basically, I see them as a DVD-A with an extra shiny label. If it is DualDisc and doesn't meet my standards (i.e. only has Dolby Digital surround), than I'll pick up the import SACD from one of the cheaper retailers you folks have mentioned. I was going off of the prices listed at amusicdirect.com acousticsounds.com and elusivedisc.com - all great places to buy, but a bit pricey on this one.

Justin

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Paul.S - I don't believe that this would be Warner's first DVD-A DD title, but to tell the truth, I can only think of the Graetful Dead's American Beauty on DD from Warner. From reviews on amazon.com of the disc, it sounds like the DVD side is identical to the original DVD-A standalone release.

A quick search only revealed an additional three albums released by Warner and their other labels on DualDisc: Trapt's self titled (Warner), Simple Plan's Still Not Getting Any (Lava), and the Donna's Gold Medal (Atlantic) I'm sure there are others but I can't think of any. Since I've never spotted these titles in real life, I have no idea what's actually on them.

And lord only knows what happened to the Donna's Gold Medal - it was released then pulled for some QC issue with the promise that it would return to shelves soon. That was October.

Justin

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Justin_P. I knew there weren't many Warner Duals--so few as to need my memory refreshed. But I remember all the titles you mention.

Was there not a DTS CD of American Beauty back in the day?

-p

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm confused. So does the duel disk have DVD-A? If not I'm ordering the SACD today as I've been chomping at the bit to get this one.

On a side note. I have the Los Lonely Boys duel disk which is CD / DTS-DVD(with video). I can't get the CD side to play on my Denon2900. The CD side plays just fine at work on my 10yr old radio shack boom box. Wierd.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
According to the posts it does - "24/96 MLP 5.1, 24/48 pcm stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1." It also notes no video. There is not an earth shattering difference in cost (perhaps a few $) between what format you want. I got the ltd. edition digipak from Amazon UK for about $18.67 with shipping. I'm not going to risk what a DualDisc might do over time, weighing on avg. about 20% more, to my transports. I have a Modwright XA-777ES for SACD and while I have very good DVD-A playback (in more than one system), I always opt for the SACD as I'm not that interested in the extras, if any, with DVD-A. The authoring differences for DVD-As can have more playback issues as well. I could not get Beck's "Guero" to play the way I wanted in my main system or basement system yesterday. It is apparently a complexly authored disc. I did not try it in the bedroom system. I prefer to just be able to listen to the music and pick stereo or multi-channel. So choose what format sounds better on your gear and what your preferences are and enjoy it.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Elusive Disc had it listed as a two-disc set with a real DVD-A and a CD, but have updated that to indicate that it is in fact a Dual Disc.

No sale here.

Brian

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Picked it up today and can confirm...

Single disc, double sided.

DVD-A with 5.1 HiRez, 2ch HiRez, and 5.1 DD.

No content except title cards.

This anniversary edition deserved better but for a hi rez version of a great album for $13.99, I'll take it.

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up my copy yesterday at BestBuy for $15.99. My friend who works there said it had come in about two weeks ago and gotten buried in their back room.

I think the mixed info that we received from various retailers was caused by the fact that the disc does not bear a DualDisc logo on its packaging anywhere. I found this to be a little odd.

I have to say that, despite the 24bit/48khz stereo track on the DVD-A side, I'm satisfied with the disc. Call me crazy, but I expect the stereo mix to be of the same or higher quality than the surround mix. Anyway, rating this release only as a DVD-A, I have to say that it is a good, if bare boned, disc and worth your money.

In response to the statements made above about the inferior quality of the "CD" layer on DualDiscs: This is news to me (and disappointing news, at that), but I can't say that I didn't suspect it all along. Fortunately, I only buy DVD-A DualDiscs, which I see as a DVD-A with a shiny top. If I really love the album that much and want a great sounding redbook version for my car or whatever, I'll probably just break down and re-buy it, just like I would with any other DVD-A. I consider both DualDisc and DVD-A to be non-portable formats, just like vinyl and single layer SACD. I know this is contrary to the DualDisc ad campaign, and indeed, the entire supposed purpose of the format, but it is the sad truth. Even if the CD side were of the same quality as the redbook CD, the dual sided design of the discs simply makes them too fragile for normal wear and tear.

As I'm sure you can tell by now, I too find this format to be confusing and frustrating on many levels. I'm never sure from day to day whether I should love it or hate it, and I can never tell from release to release what is actually on the disc until I spend a ridiculous amount of time researching it on the web.

I try to look at DualDisc for what I think it is: A half assed attempt to give the consumer the appearance of added value, while robbing them of quality the consumer deserves. It's not far in my mind from the rise of the iPod and MP3 culture. People are unknowingly trading quality for convenience. Now, if they want to do that, that's their own prerogative, until it starts to infringe upon my ability to acquire media that meets my standards.

Meanwhile, there is a glimmer of hope: for those consumers willing to do extra research (i.e. the audiophile community), the DualDisc format occasionally represents a new chance to get high res music off the ground and into people's homes...

...or at least mine. ;)

Justin

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

Why do you think people are "unknowingly" trading quality for convenience. I think they're very knowingly doing that. You don't have to be an audiophile to hear the difference between a DVD-A and a high-end MP3 file.

I'll also suggest that lots of people, not just iPod nuts, make that same trade-off, or don't consider it a trade off.

I fall somewhere in the middle, but understand both arguments.

I think the secret hidden within audiophile arguments is that much of the music that appeals to them is of a type that benefits most from high-end audio. If you're into Louis Armstrong, or old R&B, or old bluegrass, or Robert Johnson, etc., remastering is nice, but to some extent you'll never "improve" on the sound - indeed, most fans of older music would be offended by any attempt to "clean up" their nice, dirty old recordings.

B.B. King's "Live at the Regal" sounds very nice, remastered, but it'll never be a Dream Theater disc, nor should it aspire to be.

Just a thought.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Doug, just to be absolutely sure, are the HiRez 2ch and 5.1ch MLP 24/96 [and not 24/48 or less]? If they are, then I'll be picking the Dualdisc up. If they're not, I may import the SACD.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks