What's new

DirctTV Digital Surround Receiver (1 Viewer)

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Anyone here have any experiences with any of the DirctTV Dolby Digital surround sound receivers? I've been looking at the new RCA's out, which have a digital out and S-video, and a Samsung model (SIR-75 I believe), which has a digital audio out and component outs for video. From what I understand the component video out will not give you that much over s-video due to the signal coming in not being the best from the beginning. Anyway, looking more for the surround sound than video. Too early for me to jump into HDTV receiver with the limited programming options currently available. Looking for some feedback/experiencs here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I know some PPV movies and movies shown on the movie channels are broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 if you have a reciever with a digital output. That's the real draw of it. I've got the Samsung SIR-70(the entry level model) and it's an absolutely fantastic reciever. It blows away my old Hitachi in terms of speed. features, and design. I highly reccomend the Samsung recievers if you're in the market.

DennyH

Grip
I have the Samsung S75 and its great for DD "and" it has component video. The one thing that bothers me is how few programs are actually available in DD. Even movies like Blade II arent in 5.1:frowning: .

Vin

Supporting Actor
I have a Sony standard definition DirecTV receiver w/ DD output and S-video, no component....I'm very happy with the unit.

Vin

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I have an RCA receiver with DD out, it's very pleasing. I try to look for the movies with DD 5.1, but even the Pro logic movies sound very good, at least on my system.

I highly recommend DD on Directv. Look at it as an extra bonus, rather than expecting it to be on every movie.

By the way, a lot of the pay per views are available in 5.1.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I've priced the Samsung and RCA models around $80-$100, how much do the Sony's run for? Also, I have yet to see any of the Sony DD regular receivers. Do any of the big chains (BB, CC, etc.) carry them?

Thanks for everyone's feedback also.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Also, I have yet to see any of the Sony DD regular receivers. Do any of the big chains (BB, CC, etc.) carry them?
I got mine at CC about a year and a half ago for $150 on sale but I'm not sure if they carry them anymore. I know BB used to have them but they're not showing the Sony at their website either. The only SD Sony with DD output that I was able to find online is this one which is a newer version of the one I have (which I believe is the SATA60).

Vin

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonvn
Recent bookmarks