DirctTV Digital Surround Receiver

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jon_Welker, May 19, 2003.

1. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Anyone here have any experiences with any of the DirctTV Dolby Digital surround sound receivers? I've been looking at the new RCA's out, which have a digital out and S-video, and a Samsung model (SIR-75 I believe), which has a digital audio out and component outs for video. From what I understand the component video out will not give you that much over s-video due to the signal coming in not being the best from the beginning. Anyway, looking more for the surround sound than video. Too early for me to jump into HDTV receiver with the limited programming options currently available. Looking for some feedback/experiencs here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

2. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I know some PPV movies and movies shown on the movie channels are broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 if you have a reciever with a digital output. That's the real draw of it. I've got the Samsung SIR-70(the entry level model) and it's an absolutely fantastic reciever. It blows away my old Hitachi in terms of speed. features, and design. I highly reccomend the Samsung recievers if you're in the market.

3. DennyH

DennyH Extra

I have the Samsung S75 and its great for DD "and" it has component video. The one thing that bothers me is how few programs are actually available in DD. Even movies like Blade II arent in 5.1[​IMG] .

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

I have a Sony standard definition DirecTV receiver w/ DD output and S-video, no component....I'm very happy with the unit.

Vin

5. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

I have an RCA receiver with DD out, it's very pleasing. I try to look for the movies with DD 5.1, but even the Pro logic movies sound very good, at least on my system.

I highly recommend DD on Directv. Look at it as an extra bonus, rather than expecting it to be on every movie.

By the way, a lot of the pay per views are available in 5.1.

6. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I've priced the Samsung and RCA models around $80-$100, how much do the Sony's run for? Also, I have yet to see any of the Sony DD regular receivers. Do any of the big chains (BB, CC, etc.) carry them?

Thanks for everyone's feedback also.

7. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

8. Winfred.S

Winfred.S Agent

I like my Hughes GCEBOA. Dolby Digital (optical), and includes an RF remote.