What's new

Dipoles vs Bipoles? (And a Few Other Quick Questions) (1 Viewer)

DavidBelis

Agent
Can someone please explain to me the difference between these (are there monopoles, too?), because I've heard these terms regarding speakers many times, but I do not know what they mean.

I've heard, that for instance, the Paradigms ADPs are dipoles, while something like the Titans are bipoles. Does it have something to do with the placement of the speaker or the ambience or something like that?

Because I'm about to purchase some Paradigms (4 Titans, a CC170, and a PDR8 or 10, which comes out to be about $1500-$1600 Candian, after stands and tax), for my main room in my apartment, which is about 10x16 feet, or so.

What's the difference betweem having, let's say 2 ADP 70s or 170s and 2 Titans instead of just 4 Titans (price-wise, and quality-wise)?

Also, what's the ideal way to set up my room? Should it be 16 wide (and 10 ft from back to front), or 10 feet wide,( and 16 from front to back).

And one final question: in this size room, how much am I looking to spend approximately on speaker wire for this 5.1 system? Is there are specific namebrand I should look for regarding wire, or is whatever this store (it's called Audio-One) gives me, sufficient?

(BTW, thank you for all the help the people here have been giving me over the last few weeks regarding purchasing Paradigm speakers. It's been very helpful)

PaulT

Supporting Actor
David, here is a pretty reasonable explaination:
http://smr-home-theatre.org/Types/

In a nutshell, Bipoles have the same (or similar) speakers on both sides of the unit wired in phase with each other. Dipoles have them wired out of phase. Monopoles have a single set.

Note that with the Paradigm ADP (Adapted Di-Polar), the tweeters are dipolar and the woofers are bipolar (allows for spaciousness of the highs without losing lows).

The arguement between dipole/bipole and monopole has a lot to do with how you perceive the directivity of the surround speakers. In my opinion monopoles for surround require too tight a placement (due to directivity or the small 'sweet spot'). Imagine pointing the rear speakers directly at your listening position (like you do with your fronts) and then move 1 foot forward away from the speakers 'zone'. I have had better luck with dipoles, they seem to envelope my listening area better and allow me to move about more and retain the same sound. Try listening to both set up's at the shop where you are purchasing your speakers and see if you prefer one type to the other.

For wire I would go and get some 12 gauge speaker wire from Radio Shack (they also sell AR wire) or Home Depot for your fronts and Centre, and depending on the run to your surrounds get 14 or 16 gauge. That's just my opinion. You'll get a lot of yeah's or neah's regarding wire choice in most of the forums.

DavidBelis

Agent
Well, I finally bought the speakers. ;)

I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, because I'm still putting everything together (it's a pain).

Anyways, overall, how would you says I did?

After bargaining and taxes, it cost $1495 Canadian (about $950 US), and I got:

4 speakers stands (2 Premium, and 2 other taller ones for the rear)
100 feet of 14 gauge speaker wire (value of $50)
a 13 foot subwoofer wire (value of $50)

And most importantly:

2 pairs (4) of Paradigm Titans
a CC170 centre channel
a PDR10 subwoofer.

That was all $1495 after tax and bargaining. After finally getting the salesman (he was the manager) to agree to that price, he kept on blabering about how low that price is, and how he shouldn't be doing that (standard salesman talk).

So, did I get a good deal or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks