Dipoles to match with Dynaudio??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Klem, Feb 15, 2002.

1. David Klem

David Klem Agent

I would really like to upgrade my rear channels to dipoles, but unfortunately, Dynaudio does not make any dipole/bipole speakers (none that I can find anyway).

Any suggestions for dipole speakers that will be a good timbre match with my Dynaudio front stage?

Thanks,

Dave

2. David Klem

David Klem Agent

I'd like to add that I'm not against any DIY ideas. I know some of the Vifa drivers sound pretty close. Are there any DIY plans for dipoles?

Dave

3. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

My Dynaudio dealer told me that many people buy Dynaudio drivers and make their own speakers. If you're a DIY kind of guy this is probably the best way to go for timbre matching.

I have no experience in making speakers so I can't offer any advice there.

If you do make something, please tell us about them.

Good luck!

4. David Klem

David Klem Agent

Yeah, I would definitely consider the DIY approach (that's what my original speakers are), but unfortunately, I cannot find anyone to sell me the Dynaudio drivers anymore, since they got out of the DIY business!

Dave

5. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

You might consider the switchable dipole/bipole unit from Polk's new audiophile line. The new LSi series is very refined, smooth, and clean in its sonic nature, without any tendencies toward brightness in the upper midrange and treble, which would call unwanted attention to a surround speaker. Vifa's best tweeter is utilized in the LSi-FX (about $1,000/pair) as well as throughout the line. See polkaudio.com for details.

Note that the LSi line is sold only through selected dealers, so you may have to contact Polk to find one near you.