What's new

Dipoles/surrounds for N804s? (1 Viewer)

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Can anyone reccomend to me some dipoles to use with N804s and NHTM2? I dont want to spend more than $1k for the pair.
Thanks
Marc

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Marc,
You may want to take a look at the Polk LSi/FX switchable dipolar/bipolar. Unfortunately no local dealers in these parts carrying the LSi line, but they can be mail ordered for $600/pr.

I know they are not a perfect match, but these speakers should have upper freq clarity similar to the n805/805. Mids are not as forward to my ears but still good at least in the LSi9.

Have you tried CDM1-NT's as rears by any chance? These should match pretty well with N804's.

Gil

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks Gil,
I have not listen to the CDM1-NT's. I wanted to see if there was a dipole I could use first. Then I was thinking of the 1-NT's or the flate version of the 1-NT's (can't remember the model but similar to how the SCM1s are flattened 805's). I also want to avoid dropping ANOTHER 1$k after buying the N804s (and Rotel amps and anthem avm-20 and svs) otherwise I think my wife will kill me. I will check out the polk.

Marc

itai

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,
ive heard some great reviews of m&k speakers, and you can browse at:
Link Removed
the "SURROUND-55 MK II TRIPOLE" list for 800$.
itai

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Marc,
I use a DS6 as my rear center channel and 602s as my side surrounds. Both from B&W. I am using N802s as mains and an HTM-1 as a center channel. This weekend, I will be adding an LCR6 as well to the rear center. I'm going to try both the LCR6 and the DS6 back and forth and decide from there. Who knows? I may keep both behind me:)
I'm not into spending a bunch of money on my surrounds until SACD or DVD-A or both become more mainstream. For movie soundtracks, I don't feel I'm missing much if anything with my current set-up.
Jeremy

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Jeremy. That sounds very interesting. I have a pair of DS6 but was a little concerned about the limited freq resp. as dipole surrounds. Sounds like mono rears may benefit from it though. Have you compared the DS6 as surrounds as opposed to the 602s and if so, well I guess you prefer the direct firing surr as opposed to dipole but let me know what you think.
Thanks
Marc

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Check out definitive Technology bipolar surrounds. They're price is reasonable and fits the 804s well.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
How about the new Rocket RSS300 from AV123? They use the same Vifa tweeter as the Polk LSi series speakers and they're gorgeous. You also get the 30 day money back option if you don't care for them.

Jeremy,

When did you pick up the HTM-1? Your front soundstage must be incredible now.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"When did you pick up the HTM-1? Your front soundstage must be incredible now."
Alex,
I picked it up late last week, just in time for my vacation. It is very nice, however, I think I'm trying to cram way too much speaker in that room. I'm removing the front shelving units this weekend and I'm bolting some 3/4" MDF on the door this week. More room treatment to follow. I'm also considering the SVS Ultra package this fall, after I've figured out the room's response post-treatment. It's tough to find ANYONE in this town that knows about acoustic treatment...if you have any suggestions, drop me a line.
"I have a pair of DS6 but was a little concerned about the limited freq resp. as dipole surrounds."
The limited response is why I'm using mine as a rear/back surround channel. With the limited amount of EX/ES material available, the DS6 does a fantastic job of surround soundstage integration. It fills the "gap" in the rear just fine. Until more discreet 6 or future 7 channel software is available, I'm not going to spend any more money back there. The frequency response is only limited on the high end...everything 100hz and below is handled by the sub. There is very little necessary information above 10khz needed in the rear, IMO.
"Have you compared the DS6 as surrounds as opposed to the 602s and if so, well I guess you prefer the direct firing surr as opposed to dipole but let me know what you think."
I have had my 602s and DS6 for a couple of years now. I prefer the 602s for the side information because it is a discreet channel in 5.1 software. The 602s are capable of a full range signal (above 60hz) so this is my reasoning. I also like multichannel music....which sounds MUCH better on the 602s than the DS6. I like the DS6 speaker for what it is...but I'm not going to buy any more dipole speakers in the future:)
Jeremy

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,
That sounds very good. I think the DS^'s will be moved to the back and I will pick up some 600's or 601's. I think my loyalty to dipoles for surrounds maybe a little silly.

WHat did you have before the HTM1? I have HTM2 and am VERy strongly considering trading up to the HTM1 (my dealer is giving me 100% trade up and my HTM2 is 1yr old).

so N804 mains, HTM1 center, 600s or 601s side surrounds, DS6 rears. Now all I need to do use get and SVS and things are gonna be REALLY sweat.

Bruce and alex, thanks for those great suggestions. I think I may go direct firing to support multi channel music.
Thanks all
Marc

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"WHat did you have before the HTM1?"

I still have my LCR6 s2. I used it as my center channel for about 2 years. I thought about selling it, but now I'm going to use it as rear support.

"I have HTM2 and am VERy strongly considering trading up to the HTM1 (my dealer is giving me 100% trade up and my HTM2 is 1yr old)."

That is not a bad idea at all, considering the HTM-1 is an identical match all the way around for the 804. That is a seamless front soundstage. Obi, another HTF'er also has the 804/HTM-1 setup and I think he's pretty happy with it. That is a cool thing that B&W does for their customers through most of their outlets....100% trade-in. I've taken advantage of the same trade-ins for the last several years, starting with my 602s, up to 603s, then 604s, now the 802s.

It's always a pleasure dealing with B&W, IMO.

Jeremy

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Mark,
Definitely go with the 601-s3 over the 600. The new 601-S3 is closer to the 602 sonically than in the older versions IMO.

Gil

Karl L

Agent
I wish my local B&W dealer had a one year 100% trade in plan. Its only been a month or two and I'm already set to move up from 804's to 802's. The 804's are great speakers but I wouldnt' mind having more bass, and the sound only a bigger speaker can provide. Now it looks like I'll use the 804's as surrounds and try to pick up a used pair of 802's for front duty.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I second the Energy Veritas 2.0R. They sound great and has a switch for three different settings: dipoles, bipoles and corners.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Karl,

Are you sure your dealer does NOT offer a trade up program? It only behooves them to take care of you.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.