1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dipoles on stands away from wall?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Levin, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Daniel Levin

Daniel Levin Extra

I am considering some Paradigm Studio Reference ADPs. Because of the odd shape of my theater, they would need to be on stands or shelves at 45 degree angles to the walls. Will they still be effective, or would I be better off with direct radiators (Studio 20s). Thanks.

2. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I started out with Atoms for surrounds and upgraded to MM as I have M7's, and a CC-350 center. The Atoms didn't match well with the fronts. I am building a new HT room this year which I will use ADP-350's which will be wall mmounted about 6-8' high adjacent to the main seating area.
    I bought the ADP's on e-bay recently and decided to try them out in my current set-up which means on stands, in the corners of the rooms facing the drivers on a 45° angle to the converging walls.
    I LOVE THESE NEW SPEAKERS!
    I really prefer the the sound field they generate on movies, as the surround sounds on DD 5.1 in movies are less distracting, and seem to create more of a theater type listening experience.
    I was a fan of 2 channel music, but now I find myself using the ADP's also, and I like what I hear!

3. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

So I take it dipoles ideally should be wall mounted above the listener? Just asking as I have a pair on the way. Is there a rule as far as how far up the wall to go, my ceiling is about 8 ft. high.

4. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

According to a local dealer, mounting within 12" of the ceiling is OK. I'm curious about this too as my new HT room will have a 9'ceiling.
    I was thinking about mounting them where the bottom of the ADP would be about 6'8" above the floor line, same as a door frame.
    I also read that when wall mounting speakers, try to keep the bottom of the speaker even to the top of the door frame, looks bettter I guess.