Dipoles from B&W?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by itai, Jul 7, 2002.

1. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

hi all

i'm going to get a new ht system soon, and was wandering, the b&w cdm-nt series has what looks like, direct firing surrounds, cdm-snt's, and what i like is dipoles.
    there's the ds-6 from b&w, which is dipole, but i cant figure out if it's gonna match the cdm line.
    can anyone shed some light on this issue?
    thanks

more info: the new system finalists are either:
    Paradigm reference 100 mains, cc center, adp's surr.
    B&w cdm9nt, cnt, and whichever surrounds by b&w.
    driven by a denon 4802 for now, power amp later on.
    thanks again!

2. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

itai,

I was at the Audio Review site just the other day and if you go to speakers and type in B&W in the box where it asks for manufacturer it brings up two(I think)dipole speakers. I went to the B&W site and could find no further info on them. They actually had reviews on them at Audio Review so I don't understand why there's no info.

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

itai,
    DS-6 dipoles are discontinued so most likely will need to find them on the used market if your dealer has no stock left. The Denon has switchable rears for connecting and then selecting between two sets of rear speakers (monopole or dipole) so you could get DS-6 and CDM1-NT or 601-s3. You can also play around with 7.1 configuration which enhances the rear surround.

The new LSi line from Polk Audio has a switchable bipolar/dipolar speaker(LSi/FX) that might interest you. I personally have decided on the Lsi line for a new theater I am putting together over B&W CDM-NT series which was one of my top choices. Excellent price/performance ratio IMO.

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

IIRC the DS-6's were designed for the frequency response of Dolby Pro-Logic surround channels, which were limited to 20-7khz. So they don't perform so well with the full-range surround signal in current surround formats. The B+W THX dipoles were full-range so possibly a used pair of those would work better.

5. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys for the intresting info.
    gil, i am planing a 7.1 setup and will checkout polk as you sujested.
    now i have to decide between a paradigm dipole system and b&w monopole...[​IMG]
    thanks[​IMG]

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I recently contacted B&W regarding dipoles as the DS-6 is a silly speaker that just won't work for full range. I also brought up THX specs regarding dipoles for side surrounds. They responded that they currently have no intent on producing any dipole speakers. Should they ever decide to produce them again, it will be 1-3 years in R&D before they ever hit the street.

7. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

thanks,
    i guess we have to reconsider dipoles, if a company as b&w wont make them, are they really necesery?

8. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

I use the DS6 di-poles, they are fully THX certified and are great for surround effects. Im not sure about in the U.S but my local dealers in the U.K can still get stock of them, in either black or white.
    The DS6's should integrate fine with the CDM range as the entire range shares similar technology and similar driver materials.

9. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

thanks james!...