Dipoles - Distance From Back Wall!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronG, Jan 29, 2002.

1. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

Sorry, I've kind of asked this as part of other threads, but I need an answer right away (I'm pre wiring, the dry wall is up, and I'd like to know before they start taping).

Is 2.5' from the back wall enough distance for using dipoles? This is about 2' behind the main listening position.

Thanks,

Aaron

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Can they be further forward so they are more inline with the listening position? 2.5' is fairly close but you'll still get decent diffusion. Mine are about that far from the rear wall and they work as designed.

3. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Ned,

I'll see if I can move them up a foot but that means shifting the sconces as well.

Anyone else?

Aaron

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    2ft is the minimum recommended distance for dipoles from the back wall. They need space to work properly.

5. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

My ADP-350's are going to be about 8'0" from the back wall. I hope that's not too much, but there's not much I can do about that. I am powering them with two Marantz Monobloclks rated at 125w/pc.

6. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Aaron- move up a foot? I meant move them a bit towards the front of the room (horizontal change) to clarify. Although they should be a good 2-3' above ear level as well.

7. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

does the 2 ft. rule apply to tri-poles as well?

8. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ned,

By up I meant forward.:b

They will be about 2.5' above the main listening position and around 3.5' from the back wall.

Is it going to be a problem that a small wall sconce will be about 1' in front of the speaker?

thanks,

Aaron

9. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

Whoa - wait a second...I thought dipoles could be placed to the sides of the listening position and not behind the listening position. I don't have any room behind behind my listening position and the dipoles are only 2 or 3 inches in front of the wall. Am I going to burn in HT hell for this or what? [​IMG]

10. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

This is the ideal positioning.
    [​IMG]

11. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Theresa,

Dipoles can also be put a foot or two in front of the ears with no problems. If you are that close to the back wall, I'd move 'em up to let em breath. They need space to create the non-localized effect. Of course the width of the room has a bearing too. If the room is very narrow, then you may get negative effects from going up to 2 feet forward. With a wider room, you have more flexability in the placement.