Dipoles and bipoles: What are they?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ches Campbell, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I have seen them and know what they are, but I dont know the differences in the two. I was going to build some rear speakers for my parents using Tangband fullrangers. I was wanting to use two driveres in each speakers. I was thinking of trying a bipole or dipole type, once I figure out which is which. Also, how would the two drivers be wired? Would one driver be out of phase or what?
    Thanks for you help.
    Ches

2. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Hey Ches.

I'm pretty sure if you build a typical surround with the drivers facing away from each other, that if you wire in phase you get Bi-polar, out of phase you get Di-polar. The only real difference I have heard between these two types of surrounds is that the di-polar is more difficult to locate when placed to the sides and gives a more spacious feel.
    If you use the full range drivers this should be a fun easy test for you to try and see which you prefer.

Greg

3. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Greg. That makes a lot of sense. It sounds like Dipolars will be better for their room. The TV is in the corner so the rear speakers are kinda hard to place well.
    Later,
    Ches

4. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

What is a dipolar sub then? If you wired 2 subs out of phase, wouldn't they mostly cancel out?

5. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Ches,
    There is some explanations Here
    Warrick