What's new

Dipole type for rear (behind listener) surround speakers (Is it okay?) (1 Viewer)

Dodie

Agent
Is a dipolar type of speakers be used as a rear surround? what I mean with rear is that the placement of the speakers are behind the listener not beside. I know rear (behind) is suppose to be direct radiating but is it possible to use dipoles?

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Sure, You can us dipole for side or rears in fact I have tripoles on sides and dipoles for rears. Most prefer directs in the rear but it's what your ears like that matters. If possible try both and see which you prefer.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Phil. This seems to be a subject where if you take 5 people they will have 5 different opinions. All you can do is try listening to each setup. I originally had 2 bipoles, but I didn't like the way it diffused the sound so I changed to a pair of directs and it sounds great.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Dipoles will work well in the back. I would mount on the back wall and aim the nulls forward toward the front of the room.

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Mirage even offers an "Omnipolar" for the rears. Others have similar designs with various hi-zoot names, too.
They address null regions/direct sound from a different point of view. Fun reading.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
same here, i couldnt find the right spot for mounting my dipoles on the sides, so i hang them on the back wall, and theyre doing great! (paradigm adp's)
actually, you get the direct sound to your ear (if they are close to you) from the close drivers just like directs.
and, i find it better than null firing side dipoles.
much more details get to our hungry brain!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks