Dipole surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Chang, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Frank Chang

Frank Chang Agent

I have 10 year old THX system with old snell THX speakers. Want to upgrade to AC3 5.1 processor. Surrounds are side mounted dipoles. Will they work? How will they sound?

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Dipoles are still best for movies even with discrete surround channels. Snell makes great speakers, no need to "upgrade".

3. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Side-mounted dipolar surrounds work beautifully and are ideal for 5.1 movies and classical music since they are designed for optimum reproduction of ambience. If movies and/or classical music are your primary sources, there is no need to make a change in loudspeakers when you convert to a 5.1 processor.

For playback of popular music, dipoles are often less than ideal (monopoles are generally superior).

In sum, it depends on what type of audio material you listen to most often.

Have a nice weekend!

4. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I couldn't agree more with the last two posters.

5. Frank Chang

Frank Chang Agent

Thanks. I mostly watch movies from DVD and satellite, and sports from satellite. I do my classical music listening on a separate system optimized for audio. I do play rock music videos frequently during parties!

Do I need to use a THX certified processor to recognize the dipole speakers in a 5.1 environment?

6. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

No.[​IMG]