What's new

Dipole surround placement?? (1 Viewer)

StevenB

Agent
Hi,
I just bought the Klipsch RC-7 (center), Klipsch RF-7 (pair mains), and 3 of the Klipsch RS-7 surrounds (the odd one for the rear center of my 6.1 setup). I am going from tower surrounds to these and I am not quite sure where to place these new dipoles.
My room is 21' x 14' approx. My TV is along the longer wall with the 'sweet spot' almost smack in the middle (slightly closer to the back of the room).
Should I place the RS-7's in the corners or to my side?
How high should I place them in relation to the ground?
Should I keep my rear center RS-7 at the same height as the other two surrounds?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
Surrounds for HT are generally best mounted to the sides of the listening position, slightly behind the listening position and 2 - 3 ft above ear level in the sitting position...

Check out dolbydigital.com for various recommendations on surround setup...

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I know it sounds weird, but I placed my rear surround at the same level as my centre speaker (8ft. behind and slightly above ear level when sitting on the couch, the centre speaker is about 8ft. in front of the couch on top of the rear projection unit) and the sound is incredible. Check out the axe throwing scene in Gladiator DTS ES - it flies right over your head from back to rear.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Steven,

I have the RS3s (just two though)and i dont think these would be considered dipoles. Dipoles produce sound to the front and rear of the speaker. This gives them a null point from the sides wich are usually aimed toward the main position. These are usually mounted to the sides and relies off reflections of the sound. The RS series would probably be considered direct radiating with no null point. I would suggest mounting them to the sides, behind the listening position 6-7 feet off the floor. Designed the way they are (with drivers angled),I believe gives them the flexibilty for both situations. Keep the center rear the same height.

Good luck,

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks