Dipole Surround Placement issues with new house

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Adam_Reiter, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Ok, forgive me for not having pics, but I cant find my USB cable for my camera right now. I did a couple of quick mock-ups in paint for visualization tho.

Ok, this house had half of the living room cut off and a wall erected for a 4th bedroom. The homeowner knocked back out the wall for us so I could make use of the original living room space. But, he didnt take out ALL of the wall because of heating ducts that are still in the wall. So basically, when you are looking through the "cut out" wall to the TV and Speakers, you have 2 to 3 feet of wall on the left, 1.5/2ft comming down from the top, and like 6-8" on the right. So its kinda funky to say the least. Check out the first illustration. The yellow is the walls. The black just frames the pic.

[​IMG]

So then, the left wall ends to open up to the dining area about 3 to 4 feet from the "framed area". Then on the right wall about 2 feet from the framed area starts the french doors. So, if I put the left surround right as far back as I can where the wall ends, the same spot on the right wall is french doors to the backyard/pool. So the only option to put them even with each other is to mount them up next to the ceiling so that on the right wall, the speaker is above the door. (just enough room for the RSS300 from the ceiling to a couple inches above the door.

Or, I can mount the left surround at proper height(6ft?) and then mount the right surround right where the doors end at proper height. But then the right surrond is like 2/2.5ft back further than the left. But will that make too much of a difference due to them being dipoles?

One thing I am worried about mounting them up to the ceiling on the walls is that damn 3ft from the left and 2ft down from the top of the "framed area" being only 3 to 4ft in front of the left surround. So will the sound just bounce back off that area?

Which is the best compromise? Here is another top view graphic to kind of give you a visual. The thin black line in front of the tv and speakers is about where the Framed area is. The was the old wall that was knocked down and is now a "framed" area sotospeak.

[​IMG]

My rear speakers are also having to be farther back than I want them, but I figure I can just calibrate them and dial them up a decible or two on the Anthem so the hit the 85db mark on Avia. Right?

Please answer as many questions as you can. Thanx guys.

2. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Oops. Wrong area.