What's new

Dipole speakers for Infinity Studio Monitor mains/center (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I have an old seutp (infinity studio monitor mains with infinity stuido monitor center). Sounds great, but the imaging is pretty terrible. You can tell what's out of the left speaker, and waht's out of the right speaker. Of course, this is good for stereo sources (CDs) but not really great for home theater.

Hoping I can do some combatting (even though most is through the front) I want some good imaging in teh back (or at least not be able to tell where the speaker is). What are some good -CHEAP IN PRICE- dipole speakers to look for?

Othrewise, are there any decent cheap bookshelf speakers I can use? I'm using philips speakers (rated at 100w @ 6 ohms) from a home theater in box...and they are kinda big for their "quality". The smaller the speaker and cheaper the price the better, but I want some sort of quality that's better than most home theater in box speakers.

Only willing to spend $250 max. I know this limits me to practically nothing, but see if you can find me something better than HTIB quality for a pair of small rears. I can and will go used if need.

-ELmO

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
i have almost the same set-up. my fronts are infinity studio monitors(82) and my center is the infinity video one. my rear/side speakers are the infinty 62 studio monitors. i'm in a small room (10x12 feet) and the sound is awesome. maybe take a look at the speaker positioning or perhaps your receiver is the culprit. these speakers were born to play loud and i think they are great for both music and h/t.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I'm in a very small room (only sit about 5 feet away). I'm moving the setup into my parents family room, in which we will be about 10-13 feet away and I think this will help out imaging greatly. Also I'll point the speakers at a 30 degree angle to the listener, at this point at 5 feet I can barely point it correctly (that'st he problem).

I've been thinking about getting some NORH speakers. (3.0 wood is only $150 shipped!). I love the look from the pictures, I'm sure my parents would too. Other than that, I could go for some paradigm titans (sound cheap?). i think I can get some norh speakers cheap (used), but I can't find the awesome website anymore. A few months ago I was browsing a forum that had a whole board dedicated to "NORH" and another board dedicate dto "PARADIGM" etc. I can't find it anymore? I thought it was home theater spot, but it's not there (maybe they redesigned it?) I checked out this forum, and avsforum.com and I can't find it. Michael barnes used to post to it (I think the CEO guy at NORH). He was a great help..but I can't fin that site anymore. People used to post all their used norh sales on it....argh.

I can't wait. I'm on a 27" tv right now with srround sound...downstairs we will have it on a 57" toshiba! I want to view movies.

-ELmO

Users who are viewing this thread