Dipole speaker suggestions (long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Pagac, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

In October, I will be upgrading my system with an Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver. I am looking into adding a pair of dipole side surrounds to compliment my monopole rear surrounds for 6 channel operation. I have a couple of models I am thinking about and I welcome any advice about whether one may be better than the other or if I should be looking into something else entirely.
    So far, I have come up with the Atlantic Technology 350SR and the PSB Ambient I speakers. For the AT's, they are THX certified, have a slightly larger tweeter, each speaker is heavier than the pair of PSB's together (better, more solid construction?), and can handle a bit more power. For the PSB's, they have larger woofers and are "quasi-dipoles." The woofers fire in phase while the tweeters are out of phase. They are also a bit cheaper than the AT's.
    For my criteria, I will not be listening to multi-channel music (DVD-A/SACD) anytime soon. My room is small (roughly 12' x 20' apartment living room) and they will need to be wall-mounted. My current speaker set-up is mix and match so I am not dedicated to one brand/series yet. Finally, the price must be under $400 for the pair.
    If needed, here is a rundown of my speakers:
    Fronts: Wharfedale MFM-7
    Center: Infinity CC-2
    Sub: Phase Technology Power 10
    Rears: American Acoustics Labs large bookshelf (free speakers [​IMG] )
    Any comments or suggestions for the new speakers will be greatly appriciated.

2. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?

3. Fletcher

Fletcher Extra

I have never really listened to any dipole speakers but just to throw another possible suggestion out, you can get the Polk Dipole/Bipole f/x500i surrounds for pretty cheap on ebay. I was very close to getting these but got caught with the upgrade bug and ended up getting a new receiver and main speakers. I have no idea how they sound/perform though. I know there are some readers here that have these speakers. I guess one advantage is that they are switchable between bipole and dipole.
    Fletcher

4. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    I myself would suggest timbre matching your speakers before jumping into that whole ordeal.
    However, the Outlaw Audio 1050 is a great receiver. My suggestion is to take a look at the Energy - RVSS.
    www.energy-speakers.com
    [Edited last by John Besse on July 15, 2001 at 05:58 PM]