What's new

Dipole speaker suggestions (long) (1 Viewer)

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
In October, I will be upgrading my system with an Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver. I am looking into adding a pair of dipole side surrounds to compliment my monopole rear surrounds for 6 channel operation. I have a couple of models I am thinking about and I welcome any advice about whether one may be better than the other or if I should be looking into something else entirely.
So far, I have come up with the Atlantic Technology 350SR and the PSB Ambient I speakers. For the AT's, they are THX certified, have a slightly larger tweeter, each speaker is heavier than the pair of PSB's together (better, more solid construction?), and can handle a bit more power. For the PSB's, they have larger woofers and are "quasi-dipoles." The woofers fire in phase while the tweeters are out of phase. They are also a bit cheaper than the AT's.
For my criteria, I will not be listening to multi-channel music (DVD-A/SACD) anytime soon. My room is small (roughly 12' x 20' apartment living room) and they will need to be wall-mounted. My current speaker set-up is mix and match so I am not dedicated to one brand/series yet. Finally, the price must be under $400 for the pair.
If needed, here is a rundown of my speakers:
Fronts: Wharfedale MFM-7
Center: Infinity CC-2
Sub: Phase Technology Power 10
Rears: American Acoustics Labs large bookshelf (free speakers :) )
Any comments or suggestions for the new speakers will be greatly appriciated.

Fletcher

Grip
I have never really listened to any dipole speakers but just to throw another possible suggestion out, you can get the Polk Dipole/Bipole f/x500i surrounds for pretty cheap on ebay. I was very close to getting these but got caught with the upgrade bug and ended up getting a new receiver and main speakers. I have no idea how they sound/perform though. I know there are some readers here that have these speakers. I guess one advantage is that they are switchable between bipole and dipole.
Fletcher

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I myself would suggest timbre matching your speakers before jumping into that whole ordeal.
However, the Outlaw Audio 1050 is a great receiver. My suggestion is to take a look at the Energy - RVSS.
www.energy-speakers.com
[Edited last by John Besse on July 15, 2001 at 05:58 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks