1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dipole speaker suggestions (long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Pagac, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

In October, I will be upgrading my system with an Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver. I am looking into adding a pair of dipole side surrounds to compliment my monopole rear surrounds for 6 channel operation. I have a couple of models I am thinking about and I welcome any advice about whether one may be better than the other or if I should be looking into something else entirely.
    So far, I have come up with the Atlantic Technology 350SR and the PSB Ambient I speakers. For the AT's, they are THX certified, have a slightly larger tweeter, each speaker is heavier than the pair of PSB's together (better, more solid construction?), and can handle a bit more power. For the PSB's, they have larger woofers and are "quasi-dipoles." The woofers fire in phase while the tweeters are out of phase. They are also a bit cheaper than the AT's.
    For my criteria, I will not be listening to multi-channel music (DVD-A/SACD) anytime soon. My room is small (roughly 12' x 20' apartment living room) and they will need to be wall-mounted. My current speaker set-up is mix and match so I am not dedicated to one brand/series yet. Finally, the price must be under $400 for the pair.
    If needed, here is a rundown of my speakers:
    Fronts: Wharfedale MFM-7
    Center: Infinity CC-2
    Sub: Phase Technology Power 10
    Rears: American Acoustics Labs large bookshelf (free speakers [​IMG] )
    Any comments or suggestions for the new speakers will be greatly appriciated.

2. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?

3. Fletcher

Fletcher Extra

I have never really listened to any dipole speakers but just to throw another possible suggestion out, you can get the Polk Dipole/Bipole f/x500i surrounds for pretty cheap on ebay. I was very close to getting these but got caught with the upgrade bug and ended up getting a new receiver and main speakers. I have no idea how they sound/perform though. I know there are some readers here that have these speakers. I guess one advantage is that they are switchable between bipole and dipole.
    Fletcher

4. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    I myself would suggest timbre matching your speakers before jumping into that whole ordeal.
    However, the Outlaw Audio 1050 is a great receiver. My suggestion is to take a look at the Energy - RVSS.
    www.energy-speakers.com
    [Edited last by John Besse on July 15, 2001 at 05:58 PM]