What's new

Dipole Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

Nomad

Grip
Real Name
Brian
I have a pair of BostonVRX Im using for rear surround.

Ive had them on the wall behind listening area to left and right and slightly above ear level.
Optimally I think they should be placed on the walls to the left and right of the sitting area because each speaker is diffused or direct but opposite on each speaker. Room configurations make this type of placement impossible however.

So I took them off the wall and placed each on a cabinet in both corners of the room in front of me higher and to the left and right of each front speaker angling in towards the listening area.
Of course this isnt true surround sound but the speakers have a wide sound dispersion value and I think I can live with this. Its also a cleaner look in the room. Its different now but I dont hate it.
Anyone have thoughts or ideas on a better placement ?
Thank you

Oh...theres an also.
I just figured out my Yamaha V663 doesnt have an audio pass through so while I have an HDMI cable receiver to tv I still need to use an audio cable for tv watching. I get 5.1 and it sounds great but Ive still yet to experience high def audio.
On my DVD I use optical audio and component video and the receiver upconverts ? I dont even know if HDTV is true HD signal, is it ?
Im missing an equation somewhere I think....

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would think your results would be much better on the back wall than where you're describing . . . unless your seating position is right against the back wall. If your seating position is against the back wall and having your surrounds directly to your sides is not an option, I would recommend taking your surrounds back or selling them and getting some bipole or monopole speakers instead.

erkkimies

Auditioning
Real Name
erkki kekkonen

I agree on this one you will hear the difference easily when you put them closer wall

Nomad

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Ive been scouring the internet for a pair of surrounds when it dawned on me these speakers can be placed virtually any way or direction.
I devised a diagram to explain my idea and feel free to dissect any errors in my thinking.
Since the VRX speaker is diffused and direct depending on which way they face I realised I could mount them on the wall behind the couch sideways with direct facing downwards by reversing each speaker.
I assume Id also get some sense of a floating audio as the diffused side bounces off the ceiling as well as straight direct right above. Wiring will suck but thats just an annoyance.
Theyre 500 clams for the pair and Id like to make them work if possible.
What say you ?

Nomad

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Squeaky wheel....
If I place the speakers in the above position close to the ceiling with both speakers direct firing facing downwards will I lose some type of audio on the dispersion side of the speaker ?
Suggestions on height and width placement ?
(The sitting arrangement is flush against the wall the speakers will be placed on.)

Nomad

Grip
Real Name
Brian

Thanks for the reply. Ive placed them near the ceiling firing downwards 3' in from each corner. Ive been missing out on these speakers the way I had them placed. After tweaking all the speaker settings Im blown away. They sparkle.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If the corners aren't too far from the main seating area, I would have tried them mounted at the corners, at a 45-degree angle facing the couch and just slightly above ear-level. You might give that a whirl if you're in the mood for further experimentation. But pretty much any arrangement that had them near the back and/or a bit to the sides was going to work better than where you had them initially.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks