What's new

Dipole Placement Help (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Hey I just moved things around and now I have a problem with the placement of my rear dipoles. Right now, the edge of my sofa is situated not too far from the minibar. So I can either place the dipole right up to the minibar or right beside my ear. Placing it in the middle is not an option since that will block the narrow passageway already.

As well when people say a little bit behind the ear should one end of the speaker be a little bit behind the ear or should the null part of the speaker be a little bit behind the ear?

TimothyW

Grip
What kind of rear dipoles are they? Shouldn't they have some kind of installation instructions? I figure that if they are surround L/R dipoles and you can't mount them such that the middle of the speaker (null) is right in line with your ears and mounted off to the side and up, then it just becomes a compromise at this point and you'll have to find what sounds best. But if they are rear center dipoles then I have no idea where those should go.

When people say 'a little bit behind the ear', I'm assuming (but could be wrong) that the L/R surround speakers being referred to are monopoles or maybe even bipoles. Dipoles s/b in line with the ears if possible, I think.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I have Studio ADPs. Installation instructions doesn't really say much. It's pretty much for wall mounting. it recommends at least 1m above the ground and at least 45cm of free space on either side of the speaker. Right now, I assume it's better to be close to the bar/sidewall than to my ear. As for a little bit behind my ear. I have no idea.

Ken Makela

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Howard,

Congratulations on your Paradigm Ref purchase. I also have a Servo-15. In regards to your dipole placement, I have B&W DS6 and I have them ever so slightly behind the ears. I was initially seated in the null but found that I didn't even know they were there. I suppose that is how dipoles are supposed to behave, but with them a little back they are more dynamic. This is where they are staying. I have also heard of the ADP being placed on the back wall. Good Luck!

Ken

itai

Stunt Coordinator
i have the adp's parallel to the seating pos, as in the litle diagram on the instruction.
i plan to add another pair on the back wall though, to get that extra kick in your head!...;)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Hmm... interesting. I'll try this parallel thing out. I think I've always had them slightly back. But before I actually had one side of the speaker firing close to a wall. Not everything seems to be more spacious.

David Scott

Stunt Coordinator
how far above the listening position are you placing them? Directly to the side of your couch or higher up the wall/stands?

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I have ordered taller stands and they should arrive soon. Right now It's pretty much right beside my coach. When the new stands arrive it should be a bit higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks