Dipole/Bipole surround position?

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
I only watch movies on my HT system, no surround music etc. So have been thinkin dipole/bipole would suit me well, except I just want to check the positioning. My seating position is right up against the rear wall, also the surrounds would on the side walls right up against the rear wall (basically in the corners up near the ceiling) in a normal 5.1 config not 7.1.

Would dipole/bipole still be ok as surrounds or can i only use normal bookshelfs as surrounds?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've had several configs using direct speakers and the di/bi as well. While both do a great job in respect to different configs, I personally am convinced that the di/bi option gives the best all around ( considering different configs) response in a ht setting. I am currently using di/bi placed on a rear wall, aprox 4 feet from the corner, 6 ft up, and enjoy the config quite a lot. But as always, different strokes for different folks..... my idea for you would be just enjoy yourself testing various placements.......

uforia

Grip
Real Name
Marc
Good to hear
As my setup will be 5.1 and seating against rear wall....would the dipole/bipoles be better in the corners against the rear wall facing forward or directly next to seating on the side walls in the corner?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
My seating position also is against a rear wall, and I have my di/bi mounted on the same wall..... 6 ft up..... for further reference, they are about 1 ft beyond the couch end on either side.....Good response and the enveloping sound is excellent. Really don't think I'll ever go back to direct rad rears. FYI: My mains/center are direct rads that are the match for the rear di/bi.......Energy RVS and RVSS. Older stuff but still very good.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo