Dipole "Bass Cannons"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Gilvey, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Another great read from JohnK.:

http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/basscannon.html

Probably the most compact way to have a very large front-to-back distance for a dipole. The drawback is the responance which appears close to the expected bandwidth of a sub.

2. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Jack

This looks like a fun project. After I finish my Tumult I will have a Dayton DVC 12" to play with. I may experiment with this concept. 12" sonotube is cheap at Home Depot. I have a design for a driver flange that will easily accept the driver and be no problem to change out the sonotube

I'm not quite sure how he models this combo. Any ideas?

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hi Greg,

I haven't found a way to model a dipole setup, John mentions using SoundEasy.
    My experience with my dipole setup mirrors his in that the amazing quality mainly comes from the freedom from room interaction (as well as the lack of any "box" sound).
    I'll bet the DVC will work very well, I'd leave one VC open to raise the Qts to ~.8 as I do with my DPL12's. Easy to experiment with, though.

4. Bill Fagal

Bill Fagal Stunt Coordinator

Jack,

I use Brian Steel's handy dipole spreadsheet.

It assumes a flat baffle with centrally mounted driver, so it doesn't take a few variables into account like driver position, floor interaction, cavity resonances, etc., but It's still handy and free.

Bill

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Thanks, Bill, I don't remember seeing that one. I'll have to play with it a bit. [​IMG]