Dipole back surround speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelM, May 1, 2002.

1. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I ordered a Diva 6.1 set c3/r3/6.1 combo. It should be here in June. Should I get an extra pair of r3's for the back surrounds. I was looking in the Denon Manual and it says to angle them down behide the listener. How is a good way to angle them?

2. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

THX has modified their speaker recommendation with the newest Ultra 2 spec. They are now recommending monopole (direct radiating) speakers on the back surrounds in a 7.1 (EX) system.

I recently replaced the dipoles I was using on the back surrounds with monopoles. I liked what this did for my surround soundfield so much, I just finished installing new monopoles on the side surrounds as well. I placed the side surrounds a couple of feet above seated ear level to keep a somewhat diffuse sound, but the added directionality combined with the voice-matched back surrounds is proving to be quite an improvement for surround soundtracks and an enormous improvement for multi-channel music.

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert:

Doesn't the THX Ultra 2 specification recommend dipoles for side surrounds?

The reason I ask is the user's manual for the Pioneer VSX-49TX Ultra 2 receiver shows a THX configuration with dipole side surrounds and, as you mentioned, mono poles for the surround back speakers.

Larry