1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dipole back surround speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelM, May 1, 2002.

1. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I ordered a Diva 6.1 set c3/r3/6.1 combo. It should be here in June. Should I get an extra pair of r3's for the back surrounds. I was looking in the Denon Manual and it says to angle them down behide the listener. How is a good way to angle them?

2. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

THX has modified their speaker recommendation with the newest Ultra 2 spec. They are now recommending monopole (direct radiating) speakers on the back surrounds in a 7.1 (EX) system.

I recently replaced the dipoles I was using on the back surrounds with monopoles. I liked what this did for my surround soundfield so much, I just finished installing new monopoles on the side surrounds as well. I placed the side surrounds a couple of feet above seated ear level to keep a somewhat diffuse sound, but the added directionality combined with the voice-matched back surrounds is proving to be quite an improvement for surround soundtracks and an enormous improvement for multi-channel music.

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert:

Doesn't the THX Ultra 2 specification recommend dipoles for side surrounds?

The reason I ask is the user's manual for the Pioneer VSX-49TX Ultra 2 receiver shows a THX configuration with dipole side surrounds and, as you mentioned, mono poles for the surround back speakers.

Larry