Dipolar vs. single driver surround

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_L, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Paul_L

Paul_L Extra

I have searched this board for this topic and it does not seem to be addressed too well (maybe some information got lost in the server changeover). But here is my question:
    I am choosing surrounds. Should go with the Reference Studio ADPs? or the Studio/20s. My use is 40/60 music to movies.
    I ave Studio/40s as mains (luv'em [​IMG] ,Studio CC (also awesome), and a shitty, soon to be replaced sub (after the surrounds are purchased). [Incidentally, does an SVS just roll over the Studio Servo Sub?]
    Using a Denon 3300 which I believe is 100 watts.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I love dipoles for movies, but if you are listening to 40% music then I would suggest maybe not getting the dipoles and getting the direct radiators (monopoles) instead. I find that for multichannel music, they sound better than the dispersed dipoles do.

3. Paul_L

Paul_L Extra

SO...

You are saying the benefit with monopoles for music outweighs the benefit of dipoles for movies. You must be saying this because I watch more movies than listen to music (albeit only on a 40/60 ratio) and I would think that since my movie watching is slightly more I should go with dipoles.

I would love to get monopoles, the problem is, if I have movie night at my house and we have 8 people sitting around in front of my RPTV, I don't want anybody to miss out on the truly exhilirating thrill of the surround experience--won't they be cheated with monopoles?

4. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I believe there is an article on this very subject in this months issue of Sound & Vision. Didnt read it, but I thougt I remembered thumbing thru.