1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Dipolar for all the surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan Tracey, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

Well, I am planning on building a 7.1 setup in my room, and I was wondering what you peoples opinoins are, should I use dipolars for the surrounds and the back surrounds, or dipolars for the surrounds, and direct radiators for the back, or direct for all of them?

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

IMO, it depends on your room. In my case, my center surrounds are very close to my seating area. Direct radiating speakers were too, well, direct. Bipolar speakers turned sideways sounded pretty good but left a null spot directly to the side of each speaker, like this: [​IMG] Finally, I ended up with speakers which look like this: [​IMG]They seem to provide the perfect combination of direction and difuseness for my room and seating position. If your rear center channels can be placed 5 feet or so behind your seating position, then any of the three types of speakers should work fine.

3. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

If you will use the system for movies and multichannel audio consider using dipoles for the side surrounds and direct radiators for the back surrounds. Use the back surrounds for multichannel audio. This way you have the advantages of both types of speakers.