Diplexers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ely, Aug 28, 2001.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

Okay ... so I caused trouble with my "splitting a single LNB " post. Let's see what trouble this causes [​IMG]
    It's going to be a REAL pain to bring the satelite cable in to my basement. I already have cable TV, and that cable is easily accessible from the side of the house. We will be keeping our cable TV for local station, so I've been looking at the possibility of using a diplexer.
    Has anyone here had any experience using these? If it comes down to it, I should be able to manage bringing down a new cable, but I'd rather avoid the hassle.

2. Jonathan Tuck

I used diplexers in the install at my sister's house - the dish is at one end and the living room at the other. All you have to do is have the cable and the sat connections going into 1 diplexer and then the single cable holds both signals. After that cable comes out from the wall near the tv etc. you connect the diplexer in reverse - 1 cable in and then 2 out - one to the dish receiver and one to the tv....
    ------------------

3. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

Here's the setup I'd be looking at. RJ-6 cable from the Dish to the diplexer. A 5' length of RJ-59 cable to the second diplexer, then a final run of RJ-59 to the receiver.
    Will the small run of RJ-59 cable cause problems?

4. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

David -
    I suggest that you not use a diplexor and go directly to a RF multiplexor unit. Channelvision makes a CVT1mini-11 that will cost you somewhere around $150. You can take the cable feed, split in the feed off of the mini-11 and you'll end up with the cable channels AND a channel that is your Satellite dish. In my home I have two receivers multiplexed in on channels 65 and 70. I used to have cable (since shut off) and it was running on the normal cable channels while the satellite was on the new ones. If they ever make an OTH for my dual-LNB dish, I'll diplex it into the cable - otherwise this configuration has worked very well. I purchased an extra couple of remotes and now 7 TVs can utilize the two receivers.
    (I know of people who have several receivers, their home security systems, cable tv, and other items all multiplexed into their home wiring systems. It may seem like alot for one of the units, but it definately is more viable for multi-unit management in the future.)
    Check them out at www.channelvision.com. Good luck.
    -Bob
    ------------------