Dinotopia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Anderson, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Any one else see the preview to this "Mega Series" during the showing of Superfire? Starting Sunday May 12th. It looks interesting other than that I don't know much about it. Wasn't it based on a PC game or book?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I can't wait (I think). I have also heard that the DVD for this will be out this June! I'm not sure if it is going to be a kiddie story yet, or be a little more on track with JP.

Glenn

3. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

The preview did not make it look like a "kiddie" story. It might be a "family film" though. I went to the web site www.visitdinotopia.com but everything was loading to slow for my modem connection so I didn't get any new info from it.

4. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Im going to give this series a look. From the previews i think ill like it

capt

5. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

I remember reading the book it's based on a few years back. While it was definitely a kid's book, it had plenty to recommend it to adults. At the very least the ads for the miniseries show that they have captured the wonderful look of the book's stunning illustrations, although the plot seems to be somewhat different (I don't remember outsiders coming to Dinotopia in the book, but then again it's been a long time). I'll certainly give it a look.

- Guy

6. johnbr

johnbr Stunt Coordinator

:b I so about 1/2 hr of it on my c/band dish and it look's great.

7. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I saw about an hours worth of these commercials during ABC's Raiders HD broadcast. I don't think it'll appeal to younger kids. Maybe in the 7-10 year old range.

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

the latest issue of Starlog has an exclusive feature regarding Dinotopia and looks awesome

Oscar Merkx

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

anyone know if this is gonna be broadcast in HD?

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Well, now that it is over, did anyone see it, or did other shows knock it off of your schedules?

I taped the whole thing and replayed it commercial free. Not anywhere close to JP, and it had 'Disney' written all over it, but ok, just the same.

The only problem I see with this is that if the DVD for this comes out in June, we won't see any more DVD's of the series this Fall for years.

Glenn

11. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Glenn-

I watched it and I basically agree. Not great, not bad. The acting wasn't too hot, but it was about par for the course for these small-screen FX-driven minis. The sets and production design, while greatly simplified from the books, still created a sense of a culture that mixed ideas and aesthetics from around the world. And by and large the CGI was pretty good (especially Zippo).

*****Spoilers below********

Story was definitely a weak point here. First, I think it was a major mistake to update it to the present day. In the book's victorian era it seemed entirely possible for there to be a massive island populated by dinosaurs that wasn't on any map. But today, when we have satelite photos of the entire planet, I just didn't buy it. And they didn't bother with an explanation like some kind of massive hologram or something that prevents outsiders from seeing the island. Basically we're told that the reefs around Dinotopia are the only thing that have prevented its discovery. Also the powers of the sunstones were ill-defined. Apparently they repell carnivores, but have no effect on herbivores. But then how did the carnivores survive in the sunstone cave for all those centuries? And how come at the end, the sunstone that David brings to the city grows brighter as soon as it's placed in that tower? And what about the whole "master sunstone" concept. Why do the stones apparently need the master to function, and how come they started working again when an ordinary sunstone was put in its place? And why were the sunstones failing in the first place? If there was an explanation I must have missed it.

A few other plot devices bugged me. The first was the return of the father in the final episode. It just didn't work, no emotional resonance. Basically he's just a plot device to save the boys from Crab. For that matter why do the boys trust Crab at all after he betrays them nearly every time they meet? And don't get me started on the physics of having an air-filled cave below sea level, or for that matter the secret underwater passage to the temple above. Finally how come zippo is the only dinosaur who can speak english? Obviously some of the other dinosaurs are as intelligent as humans, but still speak in various saurian sounds. And how come the only intelligent dinosaurs are the herbivores?

Overall I'd say I was still entertained and never bored, but my time would've been much better spent rereading the wonderful book (probably would've taken less time too). Not sure about the series this fall as it seems to have a completely different cast and I can only assume that the production values will be greatly reduced for budget reasons (the miniseries reportedly cost $85million so I assume the weekly show has to cost much less per episode).

- Guy

12. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    I can't believe that somebody else (besides me) watched Superfire!! [​IMG]
    As far as Dinotopia, I forgot which night it started, so I'll wait for the DVD! [​IMG]

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I 'wrote off' a lot of the mistakes and omissions that you mentioned. I know that like with the pilot for the Stargate TV series, some stuff will be explained to us later.

The only one that I didn't like was when they were about to catch the ride to Waterfall City at dawn. On their way there, I saw two background characters with shadows that clearly indicated that it was somewhere between 10AM - 2PM.

As for the series, I think it would have wiser for them to wait and see what the ratings were on this mini-series before announcing the Fall program, but we're talking about Disney here (so I'll stop).

Glenn

14. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I thought it was ok. I might watch the series. [​IMG]