What's new

Dinner 2.0 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've been fighting this in my own social circle, how about you guys?

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/21/phones-at-dinner/

Granted, I'm an introvert to begin with, so yeah, the phone CAN be a crutch in social situations.

But.

I'm having much more fun and because I'm naturally introverted it's not like I'm actually interacting any less, it's just that others have a target for which to blame my quietness on.

And then there's the jealousy: 'So is what you are doing on there sooooo much more interesting than being here now with us?' How to explain that that isn't quite true but that being in multiple places does make me feel more in tune with both?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There is a huge difference between (1) using a phone to augment a conversation you are having with people at the table and (2) ignoring those people while you are texting, doing your email or just surfing the web. The former is a means of enhancing your interaction with the people you are with, and the latter is just plain rude.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You should see my wife and me!

It's also helpful on business trips, when everyone starts discussing the nuances of Bavarian Hops, I can check Facebook :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks