Dimmer switch interference

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Fr, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Marc Fr

Marc Fr Auditioning

Please help.
    I have track lights located in mt HT room and I have interference coming through all speakers only when my subwoofer is plugged in. Here is more info plus what I have tried and figured out up to this point.
    Specific System info:
    Amp Denon Avr5700
    Klipsch SW15 with 250W amp
    Panamax total protection on the main system
    Panamax subwoofer protection system
    I have tried plugging the sub into every isolated circuit in the house.
    The humm only comes on when the sub is plugged in and the lights are on. (the sub does not even need to be on and the buzz is heard)
    The dimmer switch itself makes the same buzz. I have changed the dimmer 3 times to different luron products.
    If the lights are on and the plug of the sub even touches an outlet( not even seated in the plug)the buzz begins.
    Is there a better dimmer switch and where do I get it?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Did you try the plain-old rotary dimmer switch, with push to ON, and rotate for bright/dim? The idea is to get rid of any sort of electronic dimmer. That might help.
    There may be some RFI being placed on the line by the dimmer, and the sub amp is picking it up.
    Are you saying that the buzz occurs in all speakers, even if the sub is not connected to the receiver?
    Depending on what type of sub cable you use, you may try to swap ends between the receiver and sub, or try replacing the cable. Any one you have lying around will do for the test.
    Have you tried plugging the sub into the same Panamax system as the rest of the system?
    Todd

3. Marc Fr

Marc Fr Auditioning

Todd
    I have not tried the plain old dimmer. I will give it a shot.
    If the sub is not connectedto the Amp I have no hum. I am using monster cables. Yesterday I bought another Monster line conditioner specifically made for subs. The power and audio lines to the amp go through the conditioner before connecting. I have tried basic cables and now have monster cables. If I plug the sub in to the panamax, I get the same response.
    I am hoping you are right about the dimmer. The same hum can be heard from the dimmer itself.
    If ou have any othher suggestions, please let me know. Thank you.

4. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Marc - I had the same problem. I switched to LUTRON's touch sensitive IR Remote controlled dimmer ($59 at Home Depot) and, for some reason, it eliminated the noise. Plus, it's great to have an IR remote that can be programmed with your learning remotes.
    Elbert

5. Marc Fr

Marc Fr Auditioning

Elbert
    Thanks for the suggestion but the buzz continues. I do like the remote control lights but I still need to get rid of the buzz.
    I contacted panamax and they recommended a better quality dimmer but no recommendations for a particular brand. My next step is to contact Klipsch.
    If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.
    Thanks

6. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

I replaced my dimmer with a switch. Yeah, less lighting control but more than worth it in my dedicated room to get rid of the buzz.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

When you guys say "interference," what does it sound like? Crackles and pops during playback? A hum/buzz when no material is playing?
    Are X10 products prone to such interference? Thanks.

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Typical dimmer switch interference is a 60Hz buzz that can be heard in the speakers, at the dimmer, and usually at the light bulbs attached to the dimmer.
    It's caused by the use of SCRs as electronic dimmers. Implemented improperly, they can put a lot of noise on the AC line in your home.
    Todd