1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dimmer switch by home stereo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Hi.
    Near the stereo system I have a light switch which I would like to put a dimmer switch on. Will it affect the system?
    If so, which are the best ones to use? (Not putting a dimmer is not an option.)
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

2. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you need to be especially careful with dimmers as long as they're controlling incandescent lights, and not Motors, fluorescents or halogens.
    For Motors(IE, fans), I think you need to use a capacitive dimmer. You can't control Fluorescents, and I don't believe you would want to use one for halogens at all(but I may be wrong).
    Sam

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Hmmmm... The switch would be for a wire hanging low voltage/low wattage halogen system.
    The transformer puts out a low DC voltage through two plastic covered wires which hang over the room, and can handle up to 150 Watts. I can attach up to 7 20 Watt halogen spot lights. (2-3 lights are for the dining room table, and the rest light up art on the wall.)
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!