Dimmer switch and Fan

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Justin K, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Justin K

Justin K Auditioning

I was hoping to add a IR dimmer switch to my home theater room, but the ceiling light, is a light/ceiling fan, and the guy at the store said not to put a dimmer switch on a circuit with a ceiling fan. Is there any easy way to wire up the line from the switch to the light, so that the fan is always on, and the light is controlled by the dimmer?

Also, if i was just to use the OFF/ON feature of the dimmer, and am not actually dimming the light, would i be able to use it even if the fan is on this circut? I imagine the fan would shut off when the light goes out though.

thx for your help

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but if I rember right you will have two wires that power just the fan & another two that are just the light or lights & than one earth ground for the whole unit. If this is how yours is you could put just the light on a separate switched or dimmer circuit to gain control of it without affecting the fan.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

got mine dimmed

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

If the light/fan combo is powered by a 3 wire lead (red/white/black) with a separate ground then yes you can do what you want.

5. Justin K

Justin K Auditioning

Can you explain more about how it would be wired up if i have a 3 wire lead and still keep the fan working?

Does a dimmer just have a positive and a negative?

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

The white wire is called the neutral wire and the black and red wires are the hot wires. Current flows between the hot wires and the neutral wire. If you disconnect one of the hot wires either the fan or the light will not work.
    The neutral wire is grounded so if you touch it, you won't be shocked. You will get a shock from a hot wire if you are grounded such as touching the metal box the wires are contained in.
    If you are not comfortable with electricity find someone who is. The amperage in a 15 amp circuit can burn a house down!