What's new

Diminishing Returns - Separates? Help! (1 Viewer)

AlanF

Auditioning
At what price point do you think you begin to hit diminishing returns on separates?

I've been doing some research on building my own home theater and haven't seen this subject addressed. At first I was thinking of going with a high-end receiver (Denon 5803 upgradeable, feature rich, and good sound quality) but I'd like to hear some thoughts about good separates.

So, can someone give me some advice? I have a budget of about 4K for Amp and Pre/Pro. I am concerned with getting sound quality (preferably neutral to warm), features, and upgrade-ability.

What are the best known brands and models?

Thanks for all your help.

-ZL Out

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,

I recently went to purchase a flagship receiver but ended up going with separates. Largely because of what I heard while auditioning at a local audio shop. In my opinion, the Denon 5803 is one of the best flagship receivers on the market. However when I had a chance to listen to it and then several separate combos, I ended up liking the separates better. However I will say that to my untrained ear, a flagship receiver sounds very close to entry level separates.

-Jeramy

Leo_P

Second Unit
I'd say for me, I'm at the point of diminishing returns.;)
I have an Anthem AVM20 pre/pro along with a Rotel RMB-1075 5-channel amp. I paid around $4k for them.
I know there's a lot more expensive stuff out there, but more expensive doesn't always mean better. I got the best stuff I could afford. I'm not about to spend a lot more money for a marginal increase in performance, to my ears.
In the end, it's all about you and what you like.
Anyway, some brands to check out include: Outlaw, Rotel, B&K, Anthem, Sunfire and probably a couple others I forget.
Good luck!

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Go for a used 5 channel amp. You should find one for around 350 to 500 bucks. Then that will leave close to 3500 for a nice prepro.
EG the AVM20 or Rotels upcoming RSP1098(However that will be a first edition).;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks