What's new

Dimensions for a second row platform (1 Viewer)

tcbmafia

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
I have just finished framing out my theater room. It is 18.4 feet long by 11.8 feet wide. I would like two get two rows of three theater recliners in totalling 6. How big does the back riser platform have to be in depth and can the first row be pushed up against the platform. One person told me five ffet in depth would be enough room to recline and not bother the front row. Another person told me six feet deep. Is seven inches ok for the height for the height of the platform. Please help.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The height of the riser depends on: How high above the floor your screen is; How high is the person's head in front row above floor when seated; How high above floor is person's head when seated on riser. Everyone's riser will need to be a different height due to these variables. What I did before I built my riser was to put one of the front seats in place, and have the tallest member of my family sit in it. Then I propped up one of the rear seats on boards until I was able to see the entire screen over my son's head in front row. If you want to build riser before screen is up, you need to determine the screen height first(mainly the bottom) and mark the wall with tape or something. I don't know about the riser depth because I don't use recliners.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The distance might also depend on your recliners. My current theater has 6'. this is enough distance that both rows can be reclined and there is still a little room for someone to walk through. I am currently building another and this one will have 5'. The other thing you may want to consider is feet. If someone in the back row takes off their shoes, how close are their feet to the head of the person in the front row? Could make for a stinky movie experience!

tcbmafia

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
do I have enough room for two rows. I think i do after figuring it all out.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
My riser is 8" high. Due to the screen height,it cannot be any higher. My feet would be in the way of the screen when fully reclined. As far as the distance between the front row and rear, it kinda depends. In my 19.5' room, the rear seats are close to the rear wall. The riser is 6' deep by 9.5' wide. The distance between the rows, when the chairs are upright is about 4'6'. I have enough room between the front row and the riser to run a vacuum through.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Try to leave about 16"-18" from the backs of the RECLINED front row seats and the EXTENDED foot rests of the rear row seats. Many times during a viewing, someone will have to get up and pass between!

David

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
As you can tell it takes a bit of geometry if you want to do this right. You need to account for how far away your front row is. How high the BOTTOM of your screen is. Distance traveled of your head when reclined, back and down. Sounds to me like you have a good enough size room, you shouldn't have any troubles. Check out my placement in the link below. 2 rows in about 18' or depth. my front riser is 6 inches, and back riser is just 4 inches higher than that. with the placement of my seating and how high I put my screen on the wall, it works great.
How high is your cieling? Where is your projector going to be at? something else you need to consider, especially if you have a tall family.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks