Dimension Films' DVD problems with HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Joyner, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Stunt Coordinator

I have 60" widescreen HDTV (Phillips Magnavox) and a JVC XV-S502 DVD player. I have 2 Dimension Films' DVD's "From Dusk Till Dawn - Collector's Edition" and "Highlander: THe Final Dimension". Both of them aren't filling up my widescreen TV. Both are formatted 1.85:1 , but instead of filling up the screen, they look "zoomed out". There are black bars on all 4 sides of the screen. The picture ratio is proportionate to the TV screen, so I can "zoom in" and it fills the TV then, but the Zoom icon stays on (and the picture is kind of grainy). I've tried formatting the DVD player and the TV, I've even called both companies and Buena Vista DVD's technical support, but no answer there. Has anyone run across this problem before? I sure would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this. Thanks.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Highlander 3 is 2.35:1, and it's non-anamorphic, I guess From Dusk Till Dawn is too

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Neither DVD is enhanced for widescreen televisions.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Both of the above posters are correct. You need to watch non-anamorphic dvds in zoom mode.

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Yep, it's not the DVDs fault, its the way you have your player/tv set up.

6. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Yep, as the above posters said, you will have to zoom, as I do. From Dusk Till Dawn really chaps my hide too, as the Collector's Edition is the second release of that film, released over a year (if not two, can't remember) after the release of the original barebones, non-anamorphic disc. So, Disney/Miramax/Dimension had plenty of time to do an anamorphic transfer, and no excuse not to, but that didn't stop them from just rehashing the original transfer.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

8. Jeff Kleist

Tech support people have a procedure book, basically they follow a script. If they don't have a procedure they don't know

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

10. Jeff Kleist

I'm doubting that they consider widescreen televisions a widespread enough "problem" yet