What's new

Dimebag Darrell (formerly of Pantera) and others shot to death on stage (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just horrible. That article is worded a bit weird-I don't think Vinnie's been confirmed, but Darrell has been from the looks of it. I read at another news site the second member dead may have been the bassist, and a guitar tech was also killed.

It's really frightening. I've played many shows in the metal scene in Chicago and New York, a few with national acts. This really makes me think twice about playing live.

DD will be sorely missed. Certainly one of the best metal guitarists ever IMO.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wands and metal detectors will have to become standard even in small clubs.

Details are a little sketchy right now, as I've heard as many as five are dead. I suppose that includes the shooter.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The Blabbermouth source was someone at the show who said he spoke with Vinnie after the shooting. I have read in a couple places people have claimed to speak with him and he was OK.

The shooter was obviously gunning specifically for DD, reports from the club say he walked right up to him on stage and fired point blank several times... Some reports from the show claim he shouted something about the breakup of pantera-- although I would guess this should be taken with a hefty grain of salt...

The majority of reports say 2 band members dead (although could be a tech being reported as a member of the band), a bouncer dead or injured, an audience member or two dead and the shooter killed by police. Some reports say 5 dead, some say 7. A couple sources have quoted witnesses that as many as 16 shots were fired (although do many handguns hold this many rounds?).

I'm not much of a fan of the band (or pantera), but I don't think anyone could hear this and be anything but shocked...

-V

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! I was a huge Pantera fan in the mid 90s and still listen to their first three albums regularly. (The last two were not so hot). I've been to many a metal show over the years and have always been patted down. How the hell does somebody get a gun into a show, when I've had to show them my Asthma inhaler and car keys before entering?

This is terrible news. I can't help but think there is an inside connection somewhere.

R.I.P.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"How the hell does somebody get a gun into a show"

I saw Slayer at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC about a month ago and a bunch of us walked right in. Actually the only one of us who got searched was my friend who happened to have a camera in his crotch.

How did he get to the stage from behind the scenes? Where was security?

Anyway this is terrible terrible news. RIP DD :frowning:

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You guys must not go to many small venue shows. Columbus' Alrosa Villa is a very small place, I have never seen a metal detector at a venue of this size. I think they claim capacity of 800, but I'd say 500. For comparison, the Roseland in NYC considers itself "intimate" and holds 3500+.

Security in places like this is usually untrained friends of the owner who are looking out more for cameras and recording devices than weapons. And at this kind of show they'd be way more likely to be looking for brass knuckles or maybe a knife-- not a pistol.

And as someone who spent about 10 years in live music as an engineer and tech on all sizes of events: the seperation between audience and stage is usually a figurative line, especially at these really small venues. Even more so for more extreme shows, there are often audience members making their way on stage--- it's really only a lack of desire that keeps an fan from being able to assault an artist.

-V

PS; Mtv.com now reporting 2 of the dead were fans in the audience (Nathan Bray and Erin Halk), Darrell the 3rd, the shooter the 4th and a 5th victim- said to be a member of the band- as of yet not officially identified pending notification of next of kin. A few others were taken to the hospital, conditions unknown.

Some media are identifying the shooter as Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville, OH.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Its a sad sad day. DD was one of the best guitarists alive IMO, and had a lot more to contribute. Has anyone heard any word on how Phil Anselmo took the news?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've been to over 100 concerts in the Chicago area at least 50% of which were either Metal or Hard Rock. The vast majority of these shows were in clubs that hold under 1000 people and I've been frisked an nearly every single concert. I always find it annoying, but have always understood that it's a necessary precaution to keep the whack-jobs out. I assumed that this was everywhere nation-wide, but as several of you have posted this is obviously not the truth.

I was even frisked at the Curiosa Festival this summer.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Philip is so full of himself. Always has been. When I saw Pantera a few years ago they were so tight, fuking amazing -except Phil who was almost too drunk to sing. He sounded terrible, slurring and mumbling 1/2 the show.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I was shocked to read this. He was a great guitarist, and I was listening to Damageplan just last night, wondering if they might make a stop here on the tour eventually.

I have never been searched very thoroughly at a concert of that size, and rarely at other concerts. Frankly, I don't want them to start doing it either. Don't give in to the psychos.

I can't imagine what Vinnie is going through today, him and Dimebag were so close.

/Mike

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
RIP... Darrel was awesome. A true metal Legend. I am glad I got to see Pantera once
A very sad day
Marc

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I saw Pantera at Ozzfest a few years ago in 2000. They had some good songs but I was never a huge fan.

Even though I think he is one of the biggest pricks ever I was wondering the same thing.

I remember seeing Testament in a club years ago and I was frisked. I dont mind it because I know its for saftey; and metal shows can get crazy.

RIP DD

MatS

Screenwriter

actually it could happen to anyone at anytime

I'm sure many other people other than DD were shot yesterday

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

Back in 91 I went to see Firehouse at a local club. After the show I was walking to my car. To get to my car I had to walk through a group of guys that were standing on a street corner. Within a few minutes of me walking through this group of guys they started firing at each other. I stray bullet hit a concert goer as he was walking trough the parking lot. The guys who were shooting at each other were not attendees of the concert.

I found out the next day what had happened and was shocked.

Paul

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Holy Shit..... This just freaking sucks..... I have loved DD since I first heard him on the cowboys from hell album..... Man o man...what a sad freaking day.....

RIP Mr. DD................

R~

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
This is the first thing i saw today when i woke up and i my jaw dropped. So sad. Dimebag was a great guy and a talented musicican. RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks