Dillema! Great 2Ch or Good 5Channel?????

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Ok I have confused my self silly. My wife says if we get some good money for x-mas from family I can get a good stereo setup. It doenst really matter how much Im getting, frankly cuz I dont know. But heres my question.

For the price range of stuff Im looking at would you guys get a really nice 2 Channel setup. Or a decent 5 Channel setup.

Before you ask... I will mainly use it for music. We dont watch a ton of movies. We do also watch alot of tv also. Wich is rarley in 5.1 so that doesnt matter either.

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

If you mostly listen to music and network television, I'd go with a better 2 channel system. If, however, you have music playing a lot, but are not really *listening* (are instead vacuuming, doing dishes, telling kids to stop touching the screen, etc.) to it, then I'd go with the 5 channel system.

-Robb

Edit -- if you plan to purchase more upgrades next year, go with a 2 channel system and upgrade to a 5 channel next year based on your better 2 channel this year.

Then again, I just came across the country after a weekend of working and that kind of socializing you do on business trips because you really ought to even though all you really want is a nap, so you should probably be listening to people who could tie their shoes at the moment.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Such a tough question seeing as you're unsure of how much money. There are very competent 5 speaker setups (ascends) that would do a very credible job in either case. Maybe you can toss out a hypothetical amount and possibly take this time between now and xmas and hear a few setups and see which one works for you.

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well heres the thing. I think I have a rough Idea. But I get everything at cost. So thats what makes it odd... if you give me a suggestion of something but I cant get it for a good deal it does me no good.

But anyways.... $1000-$1600

Thats including everything! I only have a tv, dvd, and power center, and front speaker wire.

Right now Im thinking a pair of kappa 200's with stands and an Harmon Kardon AVR125. ... and maybe a sub.

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

For that much, I would suggest a 2 ch setup. Look to get some good speakers (~500-800) and a good integrated amp (~500-800) and you will have a really nice sounding setup. If you want bookshelves, then supplement them with a sub. Some suggestions:

Speakers:
    GR Research AV series
    KEF Q
    JBL Studio
    Sonus Faber Concertino
    PSB Stratus
    ONIX rockets
    Soliloquy 5.0
    Paradigm Reference
    B&W 600
    Mission
    Energy
    Von Schweikert
    Klipsch Ref

Subs:
    Hsu VTF2
    SVS 25-31 PCi
    Adire Rava

Int Amps:
    Arcam
    Simaudio
    Nad
    Marantz
    Cambridge
    Anthem
    Musical Fidelity
    Jolida
    Creek
    Antique Sound Labs
    Bottlehead

Hope this helped

6. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

When i first got into the HT market, I had the same dilemma. I spent my money a the better 2ch system with a nice receiver. I then took cheap speakers just lying around the house or from garage sales and used them as a makeshift surround sound system. Over time I added better speakers as my budget permitted.

Since you listen to mostly music, go for the "great" 2 channel system. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Cheers

7. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Jesse, if I were you I would definitely put my money into a great 2 channel setup after reading your preferences. I have listen to a number of speakers in the 1K-2K range and my favorites so far are the Onix Reference 1's. I ended up buying these speakers and have been extremely happy with their performance. I also purchased a Onix A-120 integrated and have been pleasantly surprised with the performance this amp has delivered. I have put it up against some NAD, Arcam, and Creek and think it sounded as good or better especially for the price. Here is a link to a set of Onix Ref 1's on audiogon for $1200.00. A 6 month old A-120 just sold for $300. If you were able to get this system for $1500 that would be the deal of the century in my mind. Good luck with your decision [​IMG]

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...oni&1064159675

8. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

I recommend you get a good sub also with your 2 channel system (I have a 2 channel setup and watching the occassional dvd with a sub is a dramatic difference). If you have a good pair of fronts and your room is not *that big, you wont be missing much compared to a 5.1 setup. Best part is as mentioned, you can always upgrade if you are unsatisfied.